The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Twisk: ME, CFS or SEID: What’s in a name?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by mango, Jul 30, 2016.

1. mango

mango Senior Member

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, chronic fatigue syndrome or systemic exercise intolerance disease: What’s in a name?

Frank N.M. Twisk, MBA MBI BEd BEc
    ME-de-patiënten Foundation, Zonnedauw 15, 1906 HB Limmen, The Netherland

Asian Journal of Psychiatry October 2016 Volume 23, Page 70
    DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2016.07.004
    Published Online: July 21, 2016. Received: July 3, 2016

With interest I have taken notice of a contribution by Sen and colleagues (Sen et al., 2016). According to the Sen et al. (2016) replacing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) (Fukuda et al., 1994), a “mental disorder” which is “characterized primarily by the symptom of severe, persistent and disabling fatigue” and “included in the DSM-IV-TR within the rubric of undifferentiated somatoform disorder”, by Systemic Exercise Intolerance Disease (SEID) (Institute of Medicine, 2015), a “more ‘biological’ disease”, implicates “a need to debate the failure of the bio-psycho-social model to ‘mainstream’ and destigmatize psychiatry”.

http://www.asianjournalofpsychiatry.com/article/S1876-2018(16)30289-1/abstract

Comet, JaimeS, Bob and 3 others like this.
  2. mango

mango Senior Member

Bob likes this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The BPS model of CFS is the source of stigma.

The ideas surrounding it are essentially hateful prejudice rephrased to sound more sciencey and less offensive.

Deconditioned = lazy
    False illness beliefs = hysterical
    Boom and bust behaviour = patients can't manage their own lives, need a therapist
    Fear avoidance behaviour = patients let their fears control them

Comet, JaimeS, ballard and 6 others like this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Fear avoidance behavior = patients are terrified of motion

Translation: people with really poor scores in biology saw that heart rate jumped when patients with ME, many of whom also have OI, stand, and drew the most logical conclusion possible:

Patients are clearly terrified of standing up.

I would say this is total and complete nonsense but it's what my first GP said when I told him that my heart pounded terribly when I first stood up in the morning: that I must be anxious about starting my day. :confused:

MEMum, Comet, Bob and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.