• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Twisk: ME, CFS or SEID: What’s in a name?

mango

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, chronic fatigue syndrome or systemic exercise intolerance disease: What’s in a name?

Frank N.M. Twisk, MBA MBI BEd BEc
ME-de-patiënten Foundation, Zonnedauw 15, 1906 HB Limmen, The Netherland

Asian Journal of Psychiatry October 2016 Volume 23, Page 70
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2016.07.004
Published Online: July 21, 2016. Received: July 3, 2016

With interest I have taken notice of a contribution by Sen and colleagues (Sen et al., 2016). According to the Sen et al. (2016) replacing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) (Fukuda et al., 1994), a “mental disorder” which is “characterized primarily by the symptom of severe, persistent and disabling fatigue” and “included in the DSM-IV-TR within the rubric of undifferentiated somatoform disorder”, by Systemic Exercise Intolerance Disease (SEID) (Institute of Medicine, 2015), a “more ‘biological’ disease”, implicates “a need to debate the failure of the bio-psycho-social model to ‘mainstream’ and destigmatize psychiatry”.

http://www.asianjournalofpsychiatry.com/article/S1876-2018(16)30289-1/abstract

A.B.

The BPS model of CFS is the source of stigma.

The ideas surrounding it are essentially hateful prejudice rephrased to sound more sciencey and less offensive.

Deconditioned = lazy
False illness beliefs = hysterical
Boom and bust behaviour = patients can't manage their own lives, need a therapist
Fear avoidance behaviour = patients let their fears control them

JaimeS

Fear avoidance behavior = patients are terrified of motion

Translation: people with really poor scores in biology saw that heart rate jumped when patients with ME, many of whom also have OI, stand, and drew the most logical conclusion possible:

Patients are clearly terrified of standing up.

I would say this is total and complete nonsense but it's what my first GP said when I told him that my heart pounded terribly when I first stood up in the morning: that I must be anxious about starting my day. :confused: