• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TWiM 131: Mice behaving badly - Microbiome Autism link

M Paine

barbc56

The paper is way over my head so need to listen to the podcast to see if that clarifies things.

But from what I've read, I have a few questions. How do we know if the difference in gut biome is a cause or effect of ASD and is the behavior seen in mice really autism or just a behavioral trait.

Interesting, though.

Edit. I just realized the authors are saying link not causation. Maybe they will explain this.

Last edited:

barbc56

The researchers performed experiments that address this, and confirm that it's cause, not effect (in mice)

There's not really any diagnostic criteria for ASD in mice as far as I know...
Thanks I'm actually excited to listen to the podcast. Now I just need to find the time!

The researchers performed experiments that address this, and confirm that it's cause, not effect (in mice)
Wow!

I did know he was doing research on the gut biome but didn't know any studies had been published yet. It's an absolutely fascinating area of study that will hopefully translate to treatment for many medication conditions.

I've always admired Vincent Racaniello and the TWiM blog. I haven't listened /read it for a long time so thanks for the information! :thumbsup: