• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"TV Static Cured My ME"

Lou I bought mine at a garage sale and one at a Thrift (second hand) shop like the Good Will or perhaps a tv repair shop would sell you one, usual prive five or ten dollars.

Steve Lord

WHen I stare at the static, the first thing that happens VISUALLY, is I start seeing pinwheels spinning rapidly, about six of them. THen the dots strart to revolve counterclockwise. I can by intent move the dots the opposite direction, clockwise. I also notice that the screen, I guess the dots, start to take on different colors. And the color that coincides with me being best able to do paranormal stuff which I do while still looking at the screen, is electric blue, then normal blue, then purple, then green then orange then red, in descending order most telepathic to least. Green is average. Looking at the snow usually increases my ability and turns the color in the blue direction.

Steve Lord

mellster

Marco
Steve, can you elaborate on the muscle contraction? Is it as sever as spasms or more like muscle twitching? I have recovered and never tried to use the TV static (though white noise for sleep), but I am interested in hindsight as I experienced muscle twitching which coincided with the duration and severity of my mild-to-moderate CFS. It is almost gone now but I still get an occasional twitch here and there. Also the feeling of being hot for no reason (without having a rise in temperature) and (flu-like) pain is very familiar. I read about flushing as a known symptom but it doesn't fully match as there was also no change in skin color even when feeling super hot (mostly in the face) and fluey. I think it is an immune imbalance, an overdrive and auto-generated deficiency (due to wearing itself out) at the same time that can be triggered by a virus. cheers

Hi Mellster, it sounds like we have had the same experiences and agree on the cause although I could trigger a new bout of CFS in other ways than to have a cold, as well as when I had a cold so there are multiple ways of provoking our immune system to become chronically turned on. The muscle twitching you had though, no I did not have that, my muscles react to immune stimulation solely due to a factor in my blood .

Steve Lord

jeffrez

A couple people have asked, so I thought I'd just post the "Bach to the Future" entrainment mp3 here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/259100661/01. Bach To The Future-fxd.mp3

Don't think it's violating any copyrights - it's all over the internet. In my version I fixed some of the glitches and rough transitions that were in the original.

Here's a youtube version, although I find the visuals distracting & counterproductive. Best w/eyes closed, imo, b/c alpha waves naturally come up with eyes closed. If you train alpha up with eyes open it can often give you bad results, like make you spaced out, etc. as alpha is like the "idling" or "daydream" frequency. So just see what works best for you.

Jeffrez, if you have an analogue tv set, can I talk you into telling me what brainwaves and where in the brain they exist different from normal, that the tv snow causes, I guess you know what and where your brainwaves are normallly and you could use that to test the snow against. We talked about theta or theta alpha. I am speaking of during the time you are looking right at the snow with the sound off. If its too much of a hassle, thats cool. Thanks,

Steve Lord

undcvr

From what I understand it is best listened to with a headset or make sure that the speakers you are listening to are equal distant apart. This will cause the brainwave to be formed that your own brainwaves will try to sync with.

jeffrez

From what I understand it is best listened to with a headset or make sure that the speakers you are listening to are equal distant apart. This will cause the brainwave to be formed that your own brainwaves will try to sync with.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Thanks for bringing it up, it's an important detail.

I use a small "sansa clip" mp3 player and the earbuds that come with it, which are good enough for this kind of thing. Not sure how much they are these days, but they were pretty cheap when I got mine. Even with a small 2 or 4GB player, you can load plenty of entrainment audios, binaural beat tracks, delta sleep mp3s, etc. and can really start to notice what has what effect. Some of them, like the "Hemisync" and "Holosync" programs are actually quite powerful.

stevelord: I no longer have an analogue TV or I would try to do that. Might be an interesting experiment if you know of any substitute for the snow I could use.

"@stevelord: I no longer have an analogue TV or I would try to do that. Might be an interesting experiment if you know of any substitute for the snow I could use"

.No Jeffroz, from reading that wikipedia post above of mine and from my testing on internet snow , I think it was youtube,, which id digital,, I dont think there is a substitute for tv snow, analogue produced. Does anyone out there have an older than seven year old tv and thus analogue?

Steve Lord

Hi, I got this reply today on another site in a PM deleting my post re how to abort panic attack, two home remedies (one was looking at tv snow and the otther was for looking at any part of the body which if you do, like a small spot on your knuckle is probably easiest, you will find to be quite calming and have antianxiety effects. I posted that people have tested both and found that they both abort panic attacks in 3 minutes or less. FOr its calming and antianxiety effects one need not do any of the precautions I have listed here that are necessary for either perfect immune stimulation or even the much less oneress precaution of avoiding radiation which is about all thats necessary to cure infections and do other healing using either method I proposed, tv snow OR putting the hand in the same position as the fetus. SO I get this message from the administrator of tht site.

"(You were deleted),because what you are promoting is confusing and counterproductive to the mission of (our depression and anxiety forum site), which is to promote healing through legitimate and proven methods. Many members voiced their distaste for you, and we can't allow you to stir things up again. You may believe strongly in your methods, but it is not appropriate here. This is an official warning. "

So why I am posting this here is you guys are pretty broad minded about new things and have a lot of experience in dessiminating new ideas, it seems that me posting on these internet health boards is a losing battle, its like people put their fingers in their ears and never try it and decide without trying it that it doesnt work, and my post is even often deleted, the end. Got any suggestions on how I can get the stuff I posted here and elsewhere for many different medical problems all of which haive been tested by me and or others, can possibly ever be dessimated to the public? WHat exactly do you think of what I propsed, what went through your mind when you read it, that no thanks this guys is mistaken , he doesnt know what he's talking about, he's nuts, please be honest, and did anyone, even one person with an infection try either method for their infection, I know many of you have infections due to CFS, it would be good to know if even for a person in the throes of CFS if his infections could be at least improved with eitherr of these forms of imm. stim. even before ones CFS was cured. I know that long post of mine listing ALL of the things I could think of that reduce the effect is troubling and I have never posted such a list befoere, usually only mentiioning the rediation and smoking and immune suppressive drugs problem but in this disease, that list is paramount to curing it. Anyone want to help me in understanding why no one tries what I proposed or what my next move should be?

Thanks Steve Lord

Whit

I'm too tired to get to the other room to try the hoax treatment that won't do anything. Ahh, the CFS life.

SilverbladeTE

Hm...*thinks about this a bit*

Ok I have a GREAT idea for alternative ME therapy, at least for men!

• Take two half bricks, put one in each hand
  • Drop your trousers/pants (and bricks then pick 'em up again, of course, and try not to drop them on your toes of course, safety first!)
  • then SLAM the bricks together on yer "family jewels" many many times!
yes I am sure this may cure ME!
Or at least you will not be feeling the ME as bad 'cause you will finally be in even worse misery! :devil:

I call this the "Ming the Merciless Therapy", though some may preffer it's other name, the "GITMO Percussion Therapy" :p

ming.jpg

(this is, of course, a joke...just in case...one never knows what soem folk may try... :p)

PS
is it just me, or does Ming look too much like Reeves for comfort, hm? :p

PPS
Despite my mockery, hey, whatever works for folk, using the static image of a CRT screen has been used for hypnosis, ME reacts very badly to stress, hypnosis can reduce stress, so hey, whatever "bouys up your aquatic conveyance" ! :)

jeffrez

Hi, I got this reply today on another site in a PM deleting my post re how to abort panic attack, two home remedies (one was looking at tv snow and the otther was for looking at any part of the body which if you do, like a small spot on your knuckle is probably easiest, you will find to be quite calming and have antianxiety effects. I posted that people have tested both and found that they both abort panic attacks in 3 minutes or less. FOr its calming and antianxiety effects one need not do any of the precautions I have listed here that are necessary for either perfect immune stimulation or even the much less oneress precaution of avoiding radiation which is about all thats necessary to cure infections and do other healing using either method I proposed, tv snow OR putting the hand in the same position as the fetus. SO I get this message from the administrator of tht site.

"(You were deleted),because what you are promoting is confusing and counterproductive to the mission of (our depression and anxiety forum site), which is to promote healing through legitimate and proven methods. Many members voiced their distaste for you, and we can't allow you to stir things up again. You may believe strongly in your methods, but it is not appropriate here. This is an official warning. "

So why I am posting this here is you guys are pretty broad minded about new things and have a lot of experience in dessiminating new ideas, it seems that me posting on these internet health boards is a losing battle, its like people put their fingers in their ears and never try it and decide without trying it that it doesnt work, and my post is even often deleted, the end. Got any suggestions on how I can get the stuff I posted here and elsewhere for many different medical problems all of which haive been tested by me and or others, can possibly ever be dessimated to the public? WHat exactly do you think of what I propsed, what went through your mind when you read it, that no thanks this guys is mistaken , he doesnt know what he's talking about, he's nuts, please be honest, and did anyone, even one person with an infection try either method for their infection, I know many of you have infections due to CFS, it would be good to know if even for a person in the throes of CFS if his infections could be at least improved with eitherr of these forms of imm. stim. even before ones CFS was cured. I know that long post of mine listing ALL of the things I could think of that reduce the effect is troubling and I have never posted such a list befoere, usually only mentiioning the rediation and smoking and immune suppressive drugs problem but in this disease, that list is paramount to curing it. Anyone want to help me in understanding why no one tries what I proposed or what my next move should be?

Thanks Steve Lord

People tend to be threatened by any new ideas that challenge their existing beliefs. I wouldn't worry about it. If your ideas work, then people will benefit from them and the ideas will spread naturally. Not sure what forum you're referring to, but it sounds like they just want to stick to what the pharmaceutical corporations tell them through the corporate-sponsored "research" they do. That's not an uncommon attitude. We've been told all our lives that pills are going to fix whatever is wrong with us, and many people find that approach more in line with how they've been trained to think about health & disease.

I know I had a definite effect from watching the snow, and with what I know about brain neurology, about how shifting brainwaves in one frequency can affect those in other frequencies - which isn't an opinion but a fact that anyone can demonstrate for themselves any time they want with an EEG amp & a computer - I have no doubt that watching the snow could do something. Whether it would "cure" anyone with ME/CFS is another question, but like I said, I had a temporary cure & complete remission from brainwave entrainment, so imho it's not farfetched at all.

As someone w/panic disorder, I find your other recommendations to be well-grounded, also, as distracting oneself from the panic tends to alleviate it, at least temporarily. Have had the same experience simply in calling someone and talking to them during an attack, which tends to divert attention from the panic. We also know now that EMDR, which basically is just moving your eyes back and forth, can treat panic, PTSD, and anxiety symptoms. I'm sure you would have been mocked at one time if you had suggested that, too - maybe you still would be by some people.

The saddest thing to see is when people trash and mock something that 1) they don't understand, and 2) haven't even tried. That's the sign of a closed mind, and... well, let them stay sick, then. There's not much you can do when minds are closed. It very well could be that attitudes like that are what contribute to keeping many ppl sick to begin with. The mind is extraordinarily powerful, and it controls all kinds of bodily systems and events on levels we're not even consciously aware of. When it comes to brainwaves and the mind's part in creating or maintaining a lot of disorders, most people are literally still back in the Dark Ages.

Thanks jeffroz, can you try for panic attack sometime, staring at a small spot on your hand for 2 or 3 minutes without losing your focus on that spot to the best of your abilitiy for that 3 minutes and tell me if that works better than staring at any other object of your choice? Thanks

Steve Lord

jeffrez

Seems like the naysayers should do some scientific research and learn about brainwave function and topography before discrediting something just because they're not familiar with it.

Fiziol Cheloveka. 2011 Jan-Feb;37(1):136-9.
[Effects of unstructured video exposure on EEG power in situations of forced attention and rest].

[Article in Russian]
Dan'ko SG, Boĭtsova IuA, Kachalova LM.
Abstract

Group 1 (N = 30) and group 2 (N = 22) of healthy volunteers participated in the experiment. EEG registration took place while the examinees were in the resting states: with closed eyes; with opened eyes; with opened eyes and being under exposure to TV channel noises (white noise). Group 1 had also to fulfill a task to count randomly appearing symbols on a screen and group 2 had to fulfill a task to find an image in the noises. Averaged values of EEG power in each of the derivations in each of the derivations were calculated for an every examinee and for each of the states. The estimations were done in delta, theta, alpha1, alpha2, beta1, beta2, gamma frequency bands.

*The received results demonstrate that exposure to unstructured non-informative video noise can lead to significant changes of EEG power in a variety of frequency bands which are most prominent in the band alpha2.*

The changes are topically widespread, reflecting systemic changes in corresponding brain mechanisms, but are much less intensive if compared to changes between resting states with opened and closed eyes.

Int J Psychophysiol. 1996 Oct;23(3):215-24.
Prospective associations between lateralised brain function and immune status in HIV infection: analysis of EEG, cognition and mood over 30 months.

Gruzelier J, Burgess A, Baldeweg T, Riccio M, Hawkins D, Stygall J, Catt S, Irving G, Catalan J.
Source

Department of Psychiatry, Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School, University of London, UK.
Abstract

Prospective relations between individual differences in both lateralised neuro-psychophysiological functions and mood ratings with immune status (CD4 and CD8 counts) were examined in asymptomatic HIV-positive men (n = 27) over thirty months. They participated in a controlled study of zidovudine versus placebo (results published elsewhere). Measures included EEG spectra, neuropsychological tests and mood ratings. A model of reciprocal lateralised influences on the immune system was tested whereby patients with left superior to right hemispheric functions were predicted to show a less deleterious outcome than those with the opposite asymmetry pattern. Prospective relations with immune status were found in the EEG with lateralised theta, alpha and beta activity; among cognitive measures with word fluency, semantic processing, and lateralised motor and recognition memory (word/face) processes; with mood ratings including depression, confusion and the total mood score. The nature of the effects supported the laterality predictions. These unique data, showing that neuro-psychophysiological factors in HIV+ but otherwise healthy subjects predict immune competence and compromise present 2-3 years later, warrant replication in a larger cohort.

As I think I mentioned, even just the act of watching tv itself can affect brainwaves. Not sure what frequencies they're referring to with "lambda" waves, most clinicians I have talked to and studied usually only refer to delta, theta, alpha, smr or lobeta, hibeta, and sometimes gamma.

J Clin Neurophysiol. 2011 Aug;28(4):400-3.
Watching television: a previously unrecognized powerful trigger of λ waves.

Alvarez V, Maeder-Ingvar M, Rossetti AO.
Source

Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and Université de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland.
Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To assess whether lambda waves are elicited by watching television (TV) and their association with demographical and EEG features.
METHODS:

We retrospectively compared lambda wave occurrence in prolonged EEG monitorings of outpatients who were allowed to watch TV and in standard EEGs recorded in TV-free rooms. All EEGs were interpreted by the same two electroencephalographers.
RESULTS:

Of 2,072 standard EEG reports, 36 (1.7 %) mentioned lambda waves versus 46 (32.2%) of 143 prolonged EEG monitoring reports (P < 0.001). Multivariable comparison of prolonged EEG monitorings and standard EEGs disclosed that recordings performed in rooms with a TV (odds ratio, 20.6; 95% confidence interval, 4.8-88.0) and normal EEGs (odds ratio, 3.03; 95% confidence interval, 1.5-6.25) were independently associated with lambda waves. In the prolonged EEG monitoring group, all recordings with lambda waves also had positive occipital sharp transients of sleep.
CONCLUSIONS:

Watching TV likely represents a powerful and previously unrecognized stimulus for lambda waves. Furthermore, this study confirms the benign nature of this EEG variant and its strong association with positive occipital sharp transients of sleep.

And it appears that even watching commercials has a different effect on brainwave function that regular programming, perhaps b/c people tend to "tune out" commercials and go into a kind of temporary ruminating state? Which would tend to be theta.

Brain Topogr. 2010 Jun;23(2):165-79. Epub 2009 Dec 22.
Changes in brain activity during the observation of TV commercials by using EEG, GSR and HR measurements.

Vecchiato G, Astolfi L, De Vico Fallani F, Cincotti F, Mattia D, Salinari S, Soranzo R, Babiloni F.
Source

IRCCS Fondazione Santa Lucia, Rome, Italy.
Abstract

In this study we were interested to analyse the brain activity occurring during the "naturalistic" observation of commercial ads intermingled in a random order within a documentary. In order to measure both the brain activity and the emotional engage of the 15 healthy subjects investigated, we used simultaneous EEG, Galvanic Skin Response (GSR), Heart Rate (HR) recordings during the whole experiment. We would like to link significant variation of EEG, GSR, HR and Heart Rate Variability (HRV) measurements with the memory and pleasantness of the stimuli presented, as resulted successively from the subject's verbal interview. In order to do that, different indexes were employed to summarize the cerebral and autonomic measurements performed. Such indexes were used in the statistical analysis, performed with the use of Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) and z-score transformation of the estimated cortical activity by solving the associated EEG inverse problem. The results are summarized as follows: (1) in the population analyzed, the cortical activity in the theta band elicited during the observation of the TV commercials that were remembered is higher and localized in the left frontal brain areas when compared to the activity elicited during the vision of the TV commercials that were forgotten (p < 0.048). Same increase in the theta activity occurred during the observation of commercials that were judgment pleasant when compared with the other (p < 0.042). Differences in cortical activity were also observed for the gamma activity, bilaterally in frontal and prefrontal areas. (2) the HR and HRV activity elicited during the observation of the TV commercials that were remembered or judged pleasant is higher than the same activity during the observation of commercials that will be forgotten (p < 0.001 and p < 0.048, respectively for HR and HRV) or were judged unpleasant (p < 0.042 and p < 0.04, respectively for HR and HRV). No statistical differences between the level of the GSR values were observed across the experimental conditions. In conclusion, the TV commercials proposed to the population analyzed have increased the HR values and the cerebral activity mainly in the theta band in the left hemisphere when they will be memorized and judged pleasant. Further research with an extended set of subjects will be necessary to further validate the observations reported in this paper. However, these conclusions seems reasonable and well inserted in the already existing literature on this topic related to the HERA model.

Commercials and PSAs that are more likely to be remembered increase left temporo-frontal alpha and beta, not surprising:

Nonlinear Biomed Phys. 2010 Jun 3;4 Suppl 1:S3.
Patterns of cortical activity during the observation of Public Service Announcements and commercial advertisings.

Vecchiato G, Astolfi L, Cincotti F, De Vico Fallani F, Sorrentino DM, Mattia D, Salinari S, Bianchi L, Toppi J, Aloise F, Babiloni F.
Source

IRCCS "Fondazione Santa Lucia", Rome, Italy . giovanni.vecchiato@uniroma1.it.
Abstract

BACKGROUND:

In the present research we were interested to study the cerebral activity of a group of healthy subjects during the observation a documentary intermingled by a series of TV advertisements. In particular, we desired to examine whether Public Service Announcements (PSAs) are able to elicit a different pattern of activity, when compared with a different class of commercials, and correlate it with the memorization of the showed stimuli, as resulted from a following subject's verbal interview.
METHODS:

We recorded the EEG signals from a group of 15 healthy subjects and applied the High Resolution EEG techniques in order to estimate and map their Power Spectral Density (PSD) on a realistic cortical model. The single subjects' activities have been z-score transformed and then grouped to define four different datasets, related to subjects who remembered and forgotten the PSAs and to subjects who remembered and forgotten cars commercials (CAR) respectively, which we contrasted to investigate cortical areas involved in this encoding process.
RESULTS:

The results we here present show that the cortical activity elicited during the observation of the TV commercials that were remembered (RMB) is higher and localized in the left frontal brain areas when compared to the activity elicited during the vision of the TV commercials that were forgotten (FRG) in theta and gamma bands for both categories of advertisements (PSAs and CAR). Moreover, the cortical maps associated with the PSAs also show an increase of activity in the alpha and beta band.
CONCLUSIONS:

In conclusion, the TV advertisements that will be remembered by the experimental population have increased their cerebral activity, mainly in the left hemisphere. These results seem to be congruent with and well inserted in the already existing literature, on this topic, related to the HERA model. The different pattern of activity in different frequency bands elicited by the observation of PSAs may be justified by the existence of additional cortical networks processing these kind of audiovisual stimuli. Further research with an extended set of subjects will be necessary to further validate the observations reported in this paper.

Corey Hammond and others have done a lot of work on EEG patterns, neurofeedback and chronic fatigue syndrome:

NeuroRehabilitation. 2001;16(4):295-300.
Treatment of chronic fatigue with neurofeedback and self-hypnosis.

Hammond DC.
Source

Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, USA. D.C.Hammond@m.cc.utah.edu
Abstract
A 21 year old patient reported a relatively rapid onset of serious chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), with her worst symptoms being cognitive impairments. Congruent with research on rapid onset CFS, she had no psychiatric history and specialized testing did not suggest that somatization was likely. Neuroimaging and EEG research has documented brain dysfunction in cases of CFS. Therefore, a quantitative EEG was done, comparing her to a normative data base. This revealed excessive left frontal theta brainwave activity in an area previously implicated in SPECT research. Therefore, a novel treatment approach was utilized consisting of a combination of EEG neurofeedback and self-hypnosis training, both of which seemed very beneficial. She experienced considerable improvement in fatigue, vigor, and confusion as measured pre-post with the Profile of Mood States and through collaborative interviews with both parents. Most of the changes were maintained at 5, 7, and 9 month follow-up testing.

jeffrez

Behav Med. 1996 Summer;22(2):77-81.
EEG biofeedback as a treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome: a controlled case report.

James LC, Folen RA.
Source

Department of Psychology, Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, USA.
Abstract

EEG neurofeedback has been identified as a potential diagnostic and treatment protocol with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) symptoms. In the present case study, the authors applied an EEG neurofeedback biofeedback paradigm as a treatment modality with a CFS patient. Baseline data were acquired using the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-Revised and qualitative and subjective ratings of cognitive improvement. Test results and clinical findings revealed improvements in the patient's cognitive abilities, functional skill level, and quality of life. The patient showed significant differences in pre- and posttest levels on the Wechsler scale.

I had an internet friend today try this method and she said she tried looking at the tv snow for 2 to 3 minutes with the sound off on her analogue tv set and she sent me this note about her results.

"um I have panic anxiety anger heartache the whole kit and kaboodle
it reduced it dramatically, all of it"

She added that it made her feel "peaceful"

Steve Lord

GracieJ

Thanks, stevelord and jeffrez, for all of the posting you have done on this thread. I am reading this forum tonight to bolster my resolve once again to share my experience with alternative medicine and CFS. Feeling a bit shot down tonight. Please forgive the temporary thread hi-jack. Both in my personal experience using alternative medicine for 30 years and as a massage therapist using different modalities for 14 years, I have seen many things happen that were supposed to be totally, completely impossible. Of course, I had to find out why these things were possible.

It would not surprise me at all that you are getting the results you speak of from something like TV static and white snow.

I spend a lot of time these days reading about quantum physics. There are great explanations in that emerging science for those impossible phenomena. We are on the edge of a huge paradigm shift in medicine. I hope to see it in my lifetime, widespread and recognized as truth. The earth is not flat. These new truths will be integrated into what works well. What doesn't will die a natural death.

In the meantime, personally I do my best to honor others' choices within the accepted paradigm. It is all many know, and there are political, cultural, legal, and financial reasons for those choices. It is the world we are in. I do feel bad reading some of the comments on this thread. If I made the same disparaging remarks on other threads in these forums about pharmaceutical products, I would probably be banned.

Until or unless Phoenix Rising states that it is only pursuing and supporting mainstream efforts for political or other reasons, I would hope the alternative therapies forum would be treated with the same respect as any other.

I was sorry to hear that you had posts deleted or banned on other sites, stevelord. There is a need for your input and ideas. You keep writing, I for one will certainly keep reading!

Thanks so much to both of you for sharing things that are right up my alley! Keep it going.