• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TV on disability: Silent Witness

PracticingAcceptance

Silent Witness is a crime drama on the BBC. The 2 part programme 'One Day' has a strong theme about disability and care. Not CFS/ME but still relevant. One of the main characters in Silent Witness, Clarissa, is disabled. She gets a lot of good lines in these episodes that make me feel proud but also got me crying.

The episode is on iPlayer at the moment in the UK.

I'm in and out of accepting I have CFS/ME, almost a year and a half in to being ill. I still have a lot to learn about the shift in my position in society now that I have a disability. CFS/ME is somewhat invisible so I'm sure I don't get treated as differently as people with visible disabilities. However I am still affected by the idea that people with disabilities are 'less valuable' to society.

It would still really hurt me if someone made me feel less valuable because of my disability, probably because there's a part of me that believes that's true. I want to shed that part of me. I want to feel equal to everyone regardless of how ill I am.

Seeing people like the actress playing Clarissa put up a fight for equality makes a difference to me.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
However I am still affected by the idea that people with disabilities are 'less valuable' to society.

I think many people have narrow views of the 'value' of a person. The word 'disabled' implies a lack of certain abilities so some people extend that to thinking the disabled person is lacking in most abilities. Yet, a 'disabled' person may be better at some things than many able bodied people.

Elderly people are often treated as less valuable members of society even though they have a lifetime of experience to share; and children are often ignored just because they're young but they may have a good understanding of a situation and useful ideas to contribute.

Your contributions to discussions here on PR are one example of your value as a compassionate person who cares about others. That, to me, makes you more valuable to our PR community than a fully healthy person who lacks compassion or understanding. Your 'disability' means that you are better able to relate to, and help, others with this illness. A disability in one area becomes an enhanced ability in another area.

dreamydays

Silent Witness was brilliant as ever. The last five or six series have been top notch. They tend to fit in themes on current events and issues. I was really pleased to see an episode about the disgraceful treatment of the disabled community and Clarissa to get to be the main character for once. Well worth a watch.