• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Turns out not interesting at all) Chronic Fatigue mentioned in Lancet article on Alex Poteliakhoff

Dolphin

This article came up in a search as mentioning "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" and I'm curious to know what was said:
Alex Poteliakhoff: campaigner for a less violent world.

Poteliakhoff A, Watts G.

Lancet. 2015 May 30;385(9983):2143. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)61012-1. No abstract available.

PMID: 26068256 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Start:
Alex Poteliakhoff is not keen on email so I use his letter box to deliver the note inviting him to be profiled. I follow it up with a phone call. Yes, he'd be honoured—but can he be clear that what's intended is indeed a profile, not an obituary. The query, although humorously intended, makes a point. Although he could be taken for a man 15 years younger, Poteliakhoff will celebrate his 97th birthday this year. “My brain functions rather slowly, and I do forget things”, he insists when I meet him a few days later at his home in London.

An A Poteliakhoff wrote this article:

Original Article

Fatigue Syndromes and the Aetiology of Autoimmune Disease

1998, Vol. 4, No. 4 , Pages 31-49

A. Poteliakhoff
A. Poteliakhoff is a retired Hospital and General Practice Physician. Sudbury, 16 B Prince Arthur Road, London NW3 6AY, UK.

Abstract
In the last decade or so, an impairment of Hypolhalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) axis activity has been observed in fatigue syndromes. Elevated levels of glucocorticoids help to prevent the immune system from over-reacting and generating a damaging autoimmune process. The corollary should be that reduced activity of the HPA axis and diminished levels of plasma corlisol could be associated with autoimmune (AI) disease. Experimental work in mice and rats supports this view. Furthermore, plasma levels of cortisol have been found to be low in the early stages of rheumatoid arthritis. There is some clinical evidence that connective tissue disorders (many of which are regarded as autoimmune diseases) occur approximately one year after the onset of prolonged or chronic fatigue, with the implication that fatigue is not merely a symptom of these disorders but precedes them. Many workers have found changes in the immune system of subjects suffering from CFS (mainly immune activation) which could be conducive to the development of AI disease. It has recently been found that there is, in the CFS, some deficiency of another adrenal steroid, namely that of dehydroepiandrosterone. This steroid exerts a regulatory activity on the immune system and a deficiency may well be an additional factor in the genesis of AI disease.

If an association can be established between fatigue syndromes and autoimmune disease then these syndromes will need to be addressed in a more concerned manner and prophylactic measures undertaken to forestall AI disease.

Keywords
Fatigue syndromes, cortisol, dehydroepiandrosterone (prasterone), immune activation, autoimmune disease

Read More: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J092v04n04_04

Last edited:

Dolphin

Somebody has kindly sent it to me.
"Chronic Fatigue" is mentioned at the end of this paragraph:

Born of Russian parents who fled their home country and settled in Berlin before moving to the UK, Poteliakhoff has had two overlapping and, as he sees them, linked careers. The first, as a doctor, was prompted to a large extent by curiosity. “I was very curious about how brains and bodies behaved”, he recalls. “But in addition I wanted to do something positive, to contribute to society.” After his graduation in 1941 from Westminster Hospital Medical School in London he spent 4 years in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He aimed to become a consultant in general medicine, but following his years as a registrar he realised that too many juniors were chasing too few consultant jobs. In 1962, he left his hospital post at St Mary Abbots Hospital in London to become a GP in north Kensington, London, where he ministered to the needs of a community that included both the working and middle classes and a smattering of intellectuals. He retired from general practice in 1980, ending a medical career that may not have brought him a consultant post, but had nonetheless allowed him to exercise the curiosity that motivated him to join the profession. Research he'd begun in hospital medicine continued as a GP. “I was fascinated by the connection between psychosocial factors and the development of illness”, he says. The difficulty was to find a causal pathway. He began to look at blood cortisol as a possible factor, and joined the handful of people exploring a link between stress, chronic fatigue, and autoimmune disease, publishing a book on the topic, Real Health, in 1981 with a chemical pathologist.