Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tryptase results high

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by ebethc, Aug 4, 2015.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

my tryptase levels are high - 18.8 and the reference range is 2.2 to 13.2. Can anyone tell me if this is far enough out of range to warrant concern or treatment? I'm just learning about mast cell disorders, so I need help.

I don't have insurance or the money to go to a doctor - so, please, no "helpful" suggestions to "ask a doctor".

thanks.

2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Are you having symptoms of mast cell activation?

rosie26 likes this.
  3. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I have allergy symptoms (itchy eyes, constant sinusitis & swollen, itchy throat, brain fog)... I get hives occasionally, but not my main complaint... I tested negative for every single allergen (scratch test AND blood test), so I started investigating mast cell disorders and histamine intolerance... Quercetin has always been very helpful for me; good results w mangosteen, too. Zyrtec is hit or miss, and Azelastine is pretty good... Everything else - nothing.

I have some gastrocrom, but I haven't started it yet...

4. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

It sounds like tryptase over 20 ng/ml is more consistent with systemic mastocytosis and levels persistently over 15 ng/ml may point towards MCAS if the associated symptoms are present and there is a positive response to therapies.

rosie26 and ebethc like this.
  5. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

thanks... It doesn't feel that severe, but it does feel like i have chronic, low level histamine issues that interfere w my immune system... occasional flare w hives and more severe symptoms..

What is the tx for MCAS?

thanks.

6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Look at Lisa Klimas blog "Mast Attack" and she explains everything in amazing detail. I have severe MCAS and high histamine and prostaglandin levels but my tryptase is always normal.

High tryptase is usually showing mastocytosis vs. MCAS.

ebethc likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.