• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trying to understand food fortification

I live in the United States. I am trying to understand folic acid fortification. I am MTHFR A1298C.

I read the labels, but it always seems different. I know that if it say folic acid that I should avoid it. I sometimes see folate listed among other things. How do I know what I can eat and not? I know that I should avoid white bread in general. Is most rice fortified?

Unfortunately I don't think that I can completely avoid it. As long as I don't supplement with it and try to avoid it am I ok? How much can I actually consume without having a problem?

For instance, is having a few slices of pizza more than I should have in a month?

My main concerns are that I am going to get cancer and that the folic acid will "block" the natural folate. I am an ocd hypocondriac just to let you know.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

garyfritz

See the "Folic acid vs. volate" thread I just posted. Half a deep-dish pizza was (I think) enough to cause some uncomfortable symptoms, but some extra methyl folate put it right again.

You will often see "folate" listed, but in most cases it's really folic acid. The FDA has managed to convince people that folic acid == folate. Maybe it's a passable substitute for "normal" people, but for those of us with the SNPs, not so much.

According to http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/, the FDA mandates fortification of enriched breads, cereals, flours, cornmeals, pastas, rice, and other grain products. I think that if bread/bread flour says it's "enriched," then it includes folic acid, but if it doesn't say "enriched," it doesn't. Don't know about rice and other grain products.