• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

trying to hold onto the last of the few things i can do and i am drowning in the pain

hurtingallthetimet

Hello, since becomeing ill i worked as long as possible i had always loved worked loved buying my kids stuff etc...love cleaning the house and exercising agoing out with friends etc.

Now years later i keep getting more and mroe paind and fatigue after doing anything...one of things i try very hard to hold onto is to at least be able to get grocerys for family...problem is i have painic attacks in crowds and traffic..so to make few trips id load buggy so full i could barely push...and walmart doesnt offer someone to unload put on belt and load in car...so i look like a mad crazed person running around store ready to break in tears, throwing grocerys on the belt...running to find car throwing in as fas tas can...i know i look like an idoit but i cant help it...the whole time im in pain and next few days or weeks i am in a horrible flare from this...

hubby helps out more with getting grocerys and kids with cleaning but i hate that they have to..i feel i should do it...i feel so uesless and alone...
does anyone else feel like this how did you change it?

Boule de feu

A few years ago, I had to give up all activities and my husband did not want to do the groceries anymore. I found out a Supermarket where they were willing to do the grocery for me and deliver it to my door. I was pleasantly surprised by the service. My DH took a break for a while which made him a lot of good... and me too.;)

allyann

I find grocery shopping way too taxing. I would rather spend my energy elsewhere.

I order my groceries online and they deliver the next day. I also get my fruit and veggies delivered in a box. They are much fresher than I can buy in supermarket. Look online for similar services in your area.

Nielk

Have you seen a Doctor about the panic attacks? Does it only happen in crowds or also at other times?

Esther12

There's no point in you spending your energy on making yourself feel worse, or being mean to yourself because of your limitations. If anyone else was telling you that you were useless or telling you off, then I expect that you would realise they were being unfair, so you shouldn't accept it from yourself either.

If you do have people who are able to help you, then I'm sure they also want you to be kind to yourself, and hopefully give yourself the best chance of improving. Are you seeing anyone to help with your panic attacks? If you are feeling particularly stressed and upset, then that could be worsening your other symptoms.

I'm afraid that I don't have much advice for you, other that to try to be fair to yourself, and make sure that you realise it's important to try to leave some time to play about without not feeling that you should be doing something else. Be good to yourself, and good luck.

I take DHEA and it stops panic attacks cold. I do not know what else works because the first thing I tried worked for me, sorry. I used to get panic attacks during pms so I always knew they were hormonally related. I don't take drugs but I know there are drugs for panic. I guess if DHEA did not work I'd be trying 5-HTP, Fredd's methyl protocol and maybe L-theanine.

u&iraok

Phew, I can't do wal-mart. The once in a great while when I go there I wear ear plugs and try to zone out a little and move quickly but not rush. One foot in front of the other, one foot in front of the other, the engine that could. But then, I don't get panic attacks.

I was in the grocery store today and began to get overwhelmed by the noise and crowds. It's that one extra noise that always gets me. I took a deep breath and told myself, relax, you are almost done, it will soon be over and I was able to relax.

I find taking the emotions out of things (yeah, right, not always easy) helps, along with acceptance and focusing on my life the way it is now, and not what it was. Periodically I have to do a racheting down and it's hard at first but I try to quickly adjust to where I am now and remake my life to that new level. I know, blah, blah blah, a bunch of philosophical goo goo, but it does work to a degree.