• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trying 5-HTP

Hi,
I searched the forums but couldn't find any posts referring to 5-HTP (an amino acid precursor to serotonin). I'm reading Treating & Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Rodger Murphree. He highly recommends taking 5-HTP to induce creation of seretonin and enable a deep, restful, restorative sleep.

According to Murphree, most people with FM or CFS have inadequate amounts of serotonin. Taking SSRIs doesn't necessarily help because they doesn't create serotonin - they only inhibit uptake existing serotonin, but if you don't make enough to begin with, then this isn't much benefit.

Has anyone tried this and had any good results? One of my main issues is that I can fall asleep and stay asleep (most nights) but when I wake up, it feels like I haven't slept in weeks. My cognitive functioning is severely lacking, and it would make sense to be contributed to deprivation of good, restful sleep.

I'm trying it (starting with low dose because I'm also on SNRI), but I thought I would just ask if anyone else had experiences with it.

Best wishes,
Anna

maddietod

I got good results from 3 capsules at night + 1 during the day. But then there was some discussion here (I have no idea which thread) about a problem caused by 5-HTP......I hope somebody picks up on this thread and we can talk about it. I got worried and stopped taking the 5-HTP.

I did some research, because NOW brand didn't work at all, a few years ago. A number of reviewers recommended Jarrow, which worked well.

Madie

Marg

Hi,

I have been taking 5HTP for several months now, I started at 100 and worked up to 300. I take melatonin as well. I have a hard time falling asleep some nights. I did not like the hangover with the sleep meds, not to mention other side effects.

I have "Treating and Beating" a very good book and I have read a lot of them.

I am not sure about taking 5HTP wth and SSRI, I have not checked the book. I do know 5HTP can be taken with most drugs.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

jstefl

I just sent for some.

It has been over 20 years since I had a good nights sleep, so I will try just about anything. I will let everyone know how well it works.

John

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
For mood 5htp helps but for sleep i find tryptophan at night better in doses of 2000-3000mg, also good for mood the next day too. need to take tryptophan a couple of hours after food. Most info when googling says that 5htp is better then tryptophan but i think you have to try both and decide for yourself, i was suprised to find trypto better then 5htp. Either i wouldnt say put me to sleep but help with sleep quality abit when used with my regular sleep meds. As for ssri antidepressants, the disturb my sleep.

cheers!!!

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
GREAT supplement! Helps with sleep and seratonin levels. My doctor has had me on it for over two years now. :DToo bad more doctors do not try that with patients instead of prescription meds.

maddietod

For mood 5htp helps but for sleep i find tryptophan at night better in doses of 2000-3000mg, also good for mood the next day too. need to take tryptophan a couple of hours after food. Most info when googling says that 5htp is better then tryptophan but i think you have to try both and decide for yourself, i was suprised to find trypto better then 5htp. Either i wouldnt say put me to sleep but help with sleep quality abit when used with my regular sleep meds. As for ssri antidepressants, the disturb my sleep.

cheers!!!

Does brand matter with tryptophan?

Marg

Madie, 5HTP is what trytophan becomes on its way to becoming serotonin. Trytophan ws taken off the market several years ago because there was one bad batch, I think from Japan. I think it is in health stores again though now. 5HTP is converted directly into serotonin, unlike trytophan which has to be broken down. I think that is the way it goes. It takes 3 months or so to see results.

Marg

As to brands, I think any good name would be fine. I get mine from Dr. Murphree becaue I learned about it in his book and know he would use the best.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Does brand matter with tryptophan?

I just NOW brand from iherb. I know trypto is suppose to have another step in its conversion to serotonin and melatonin then 5htp but for some reason i have found trypto seems to work better then 5htp, although 5htp is suppose to be ok to take with food, but info on that is conflicting, maybe trypto has more conversion to melatonin then 5htp but im just guessing there. Both are quite cheap so try both and let everyone know how u go. I get results from it that day i find.

cheers!!!

I just started taking 5-htp before bed a few days ago and I do think it has helped my serotonin and mood some. As for sleep I'm not really sure if it helps or not yet. I think it's worth a try.

xchocoholic

I've been on it for several years now. I only take it if I need it tho ... Natural factors is the only brand that works for me too. I wasted about $50 learning that ...

I also take sun theanine (specifically for jerking in my case but works for anxiety) and melatonin if my brain / adrenals are too active at bedtime ... at this piont 3mg melatonin + 100 mg theanine and 100 mg 5HTP will normally help me sleep. If not then 9 mg melatonin, 300 mg theanine and 300 mg of 5HTP are guaranteed to work for me ...

It's best to go slow on these and see how you react. The first time I took 5HTP I felt like my brain had frozen up. Scared me half to death ... lol ... I lowered the dose and tried it again though since I knew I needed it ..
tc ... x

*GG*

I take Crave Arrest by Designs for Health. My Dr has prescribed it for me, I take 3 capsules (150mgs 5-HTP, and a few other ingredients) 2x per day, it is not for sleep for me, I have/had low serotonin.

GG

Valentijn

I started on 5HTP a few weeks ago, and seems to help me wake up less throughout the night. But my doc told me to take it with dinner, and I think the timing might be causing a delay in falling asleep. Going to start taking it with lunch ... which is right now!

Cindi

Taking 5 HTP together with SSRI may increase serotonin levels and may lead to serotonin syndrome.
"Be very careful about taking 5-HTP with any tricyclic antidepressant or SSRI (serotonin-reuptake inhibitor, such as Prozac, Zoloft, or Paxil). Some references say not to take them together at all. Both the SSRIs and tricyclic antidepressants function to increase serotonin by "reusing" any serotonin present. If you take one of the SSRIs with 5-HTP, you risk creating too much serotonin, and sometimes this can be a problem too. Remember how some people say their kids go bonkers on Zoloft? Same reason too much serotonin.

"
http://www.enzymestuff.com/serotonin.htm

john66

I tried it as well as tryptophan, never suck with either because I dont seem to get much of a benefit fro either. Maybe I give up too easily on these things or expect too much.

Nielk

GREAT supplement! Helps with sleep and seratonin levels. My doctor has had me on it for over two years now. :DToo bad more doctors do not try that with patients instead of prescription meds.

sallysbloom,

I just noticed your new avatar. Congratulations on you coronation! You didn't invite me to the party. lol(sorry - this is off topic)

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
sallysbloom,

I just noticed your new avatar. Congratulations on you coronation! You didn't invite me to the party. lol(sorry - this is off topic)

Sorry Neilk, It was a small party, ha. I have been a POTSY Queen for three years now. I WISH I could just throw the crown away!