New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Trudie Chalder to speak at Norwegian Research Seminar

Discussion in 'Upcoming ME/CFS Events' started by Invisible Woman, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Well folks, it looks like the PACE gravy train is still rolling forward - even in Norway. Trudie Chalder is a speaker at a research seminar on CFS/ME being held on April 18th 2016.

http://www.euro-me.org/news-Q12016-003.htm

Perhaps it's a brilliant twist to demonstrate that the whole thing was just an exercise to prove how not to research anything.....but I doubt it.

Woolie, Webdog, Aurator and 6 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

So we have a bunch of psychs that will speak about severe CFS. What a sick joke. Trudie Chalder is on record saying that the idea that patients have some sort of underlying disease is silly. I wonder if she still believes that? If so that is a very dangerous situation for patients, as everything the patients do to feel better will be interpreted as inappropriate behavior that must be changed.

GreyOwl, Woolie, mango and 11 others like this.
  3. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Is there a typo in there?

mango, leela, worldbackwards and 4 others like this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    A thread title that starts "Trudie Chalder to speak ..." has my heart sinking before I even open it.

Very glad that EMEA is on it and about the tone they're taking.

You'd think that in these times the PACE authors would have to decency to lay low. The fact that she continues to brazenly peddle this abusive filth when she must know that the house of cards is about to come crashing down shows what her priorities are.

Leopardtail, MEMum, GreyOwl and 17 others like this.
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

I'm not sure she's aware the house is burning. They've always managed to win the game till now. And self delusion can be very powerfull, they live in a world apart, where everybody's convinced ME/CFS is a psychobehavioral disorder.

Zombie_Lurker, MEMum, Hutan and 19 others like this.
  6. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

So ironic.

7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

I've begun to fear that the PACE people do not quite see it as a house of folding cards. Their reputations are at stake and it looks like they are going to reinvent PACE and export it everywhere they can so as to entrench themselves more completely.

I can't tell you just how icky this thought makes me feel. I'm starting to wonder if even solid reliable cheap diagnostics for ME would stop this. Since fatigue is the only requisite for their brand of illness they will still have a pool of unfortunate people from which to draw.

Hutan, KauaiWahine, Solstice and 10 others like this.
  8. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

I am deeply concerned about this. I've asked for someone to tape it all so I can listen to it afterwards.

MEMum, waiting, Keela Too and 20 others like this.
  9. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Yes. You wouldn't want to play soccer against these people, would you — they bring their own mobile goalposts.

10. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

And they cheat.

MEMum, meandthecat, Sean and 4 others like this.
  11. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Im gonna tape it, ask critical questions, and might even take the stage presenting tullers main points in a respectable fashion, if nobody does it before me. This is not ok at all.

12. Marky90

I confronted them about it, and they basically said that "yeah, we might talk about cyclo or rituximab at the next conference, but chalder has a lot experience with the very sick so therefore we invited her".. They obviously have not read the criticism of the PACE-trial. They`re paid to be aware of it, so they have no excuses. I want to bring that up..

MEMum, Solstice, Scarecrow and 20 others like this.
  13. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

The child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang had a lot of experience with young kids, but he's not someone you'd have invited to talk at a Save the Children Fund charity dinner.

MEMum, FTY, Hutan and 24 others like this.
  14. Asa

Asa Senior Member

Would Tuller be interested in being in the audience? Could we fundraise a ticket/hotel for him to attend (if interested, able)?

Will ME associations from around the globe send statements condemning Chandler's history of disinformation?

Hosting organization Oslo University Hospital webpage & email address:
    [EDIT: link problem/correction; thanks (!) @Snowdrop]
    Strange.. not sure what problem with link is (If someone knows, please say :))... google: "Nasjonal kompetansetjeneste for CFS/ME" and for me, it's the first result. http://www.oslo-universitetssykehus.no/omoss_/avdelinger_/cfsme-nasjonal-kompetansetjeneste_
    I can't access link by clicking on above, but if I paste the above in a new window, it goes straight there...

And group's email: kompetanseCFSME@ous-hf.no

What about writing to the health ombudsman for Oslo? https://helsenorge.no/pasient-og-brukerombudet/health-and-services-ombudsman

Even if those in power don't listen, it seems important that they get as much info as possible from as many different people as possible, so they can NEVER claim that they didn't know that they actively chose to harm people.

Also, can't think of his name -- but the globally-honored Norwegian pediatrician* who speaks out against CBT/GET. Has he commented on this? Or is he likely to?

*EDIT: Ola Didrik Saugstad http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ly-reprehensible-treatment.12854/#post-217796

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ola_Didrik_Saugstad

"Since 1991, he has been Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Oslo and Director of the Department of Pediatric Research at Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet"

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Hutan, Valentijn, helen1 and 7 others like this.
  15. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I thought the PACE people admitted that they did not have experience of the very sick because they were too ill to participate in the trial. So that's a quarter to a third of cases. Did they not admit that about another third showed no improvement from the trial treatments.

MEMum, Justin30, taniaaust1 and 8 others like this.
  16. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    That should be changed to "but chalder has a lot of opinions about the very sick so therefore we invited her"

Pity it didn't occur to them to check what Chalder's opinions are, how valid they are, and how much harm they've caused.

Zombie_Lurker, MEMum, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  17. Marky90

wasnt it like one of 7 who actually were deemed "recovered", and obviously being "recovered" didnt mean anything as you could be "recovered" if you had worse scores on physical function than at entry.. The study dont show any effect at all.

Hutan likes this.
  18. Marky90

Indeed.. my impression after being sick for 2 years, is that a lot of people value having an opinion more than reflecting on what science actually indicates about this condition. And this is especially true when researchers get caught up in their own hypophesises - it then gets more important to prove their right, than to be.. right. And this is why we get angry, we as patients, should not be the ones that present all this valid criticism, it should be the scientists. But i guess human nature just make that difficult.

worldbackwards, Woolie and Chrisb like this.
  19. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I vaguely recall an article about an important person in the Norwegian government who publicly apologized for past abusive treatment of M.E. patients. It might've been the prime minister. Perhaps someone could forward a copy of that letter to the conference organizers.

(I apologize for not doing this myself - I hate it when people say, "Someone should Do Something!")

MEMum, helen1, sarah darwins and 3 others like this.
  20. Marky90

That was indeed the prime minister, and I do believe her to have been sincere. The problem is however, that when the government give money to ME, it falls in the wrong hands. Because the hands that recieve, and that is supposed to give it to good research - do not have the sufficent knowledge about ME/CFS, and end up giving it to the psychies..

MEMum, mango, Ritto and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.