James Coyne “lays waste” to PACE trial in Edinburgh
Sasha summarises Professor James Coyne's recent no-holds-barred talk on the PACE trial and points you to the slides, video, audio and transcript.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Trudie Chalder book on Chronic Fatigue to be prescribed to patients by NHS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Esther12, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Esther12

Esther12

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2013/feb/01/stress-depression-books-your-suggestions

I've not read the book, but I know people who have and think it's crap. I'd rate Chalder as one of the top quacks around CFS, so it's probably not a good thing.... maybe this one book is a wonderful piece of work though.

2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I do not have any problem with this in principle. I think people should be well informed about their health problems, including those with serious illnesses. Reading good books is one way of becoming informed. I do not know if most of these are good books.

I have read The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook by Martha Davis. I thought it was a good book. It did not help with my then undiagnosed ME. It may have helped with dealing with the fact that I had an undiagnosed, and thus untreated, health problem that was gradually worsening.

Is there any way those in the UK can express their opinion of the books on the list and suggest replacements for those they think are not the best choice? Barring that, how about having the people who have read the book put a review of it on Amazon? I'd think it would look bad for GPs to be recommending books with bad reviews.

ETA: I notice that the book co-authored by Trudy Chalder is titled Overcoming Chronic Fatigue. That would likely have very little if anything applicable to chronic fatigue syndrome. If a GP were to recommend it to a CFS/ME patient that would be inappropriate.

If the people who think the book is crap have ME/CFS, that isn’t really fair to the authors since they were not writing for them. If someone actually has the book recommended to them for ME/CFS, then it might be OK to put a warning on Amazon that the book is being wrongly recommended by British medical practitioners.

ETA again: I looked up Overcoming Chronic Fatigue on Amazon. It has two reviews, both one-star. From them, I gather that the authors are writing about CFS. That makes them open to criticism.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

4. clive powney

clive powney Senior Member

coventry
    The last time I was prescribed a book by the NHS I ended up in casualty as it got stuck in my throat. Thank God it wasn't a suppository! Saying that, this would maybe be the best bet for these books.

5. Tito

Tito Senior Member

The book I would to read is:

Overcoming years of doctors' ignorance, disbelief and ridicule

6. Propaganda....
    *makes rude gesture in air, regarding male self stimulation* :p

7. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

So another simplistic answer(s) to life's problems. Just pull up your bootstraps and suck it up. Life is really much more complicated than that but some just don't consider that.
    Barb

8. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

This sends a very confusing message to patients.

The UK Department of Health's chief medical officer conveyed long ago that ME should be treated the same as other neurological disorders.

Are other people with neurological disorders also prescribed this book that states that their symptoms are based on pavlovian conditioning
    of fear of activity and learnt responses from disabilities that are now gone?

If the NHS was a private health care company they likely wouldn't have any customers with ME CFS!

9. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I always appreciate folks sending me these kind of books. They work great for starting fires in the wood furnace :)

Valentijn likes this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.