1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Troubleshooters that block cancer

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by shrewsbury, Dec 27, 2009.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Saturday, 26 December 2009
    Troubleshooters that block cancer

[​IMG]
    The research was carried out on breast cancer cells

2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Europe
    Another great discovery in the cancer research by the experts :confused:

When are we gonna see results in practice!
  3. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

I completely understand your impatience. But, I found this article extremely exciting and hopeful. Good science takes time. Safe treatment takes time. A find like this means that there is a realistic starting point for this type of DNA repair treatment.

Imagine - one possible future pathway could be that the mechanisms of how xmrv causes (or co-causes) ME/CFS and how it changes our DNA are completely understood, and the work Dr Kerr has started on genes implicated in ME/CFS is completely understood. Simultaneously, work has continued on these gorgeous 'limpet-like' proteins and how to repair DNA. The 3 combine, and in 3 years we have a cure with no side-effects and no likelihood of re-occurance.
  4. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    Christmas Dreams....

Hi, Islandfinn--yes, it is a potentially exciting find, and many thanks for finding and posting it. But I don't think 3 years is going to produce real change!

If you are interested in inflammation, look up "resolvins" in Google--you will find that a fair number of years ago, several new classes of particle were discovered, including "protectins" and "resolvins." The latter were discovered when some smart researchers in Boston figured that since inflammation was started by some particle messengers, there had to be particle messengers to bring the process to a stop when it had done its work. They looked, and they found! and fish oil in the presence of aspirin can trigger their release.

I use that info to deal with my periodic bouts of scleritis, a potentially nasty inflammation of the sclera of the eye; the docs tell me to take high dose Celebrex for a month, but I have found that decreasing doses of fish oil and aspirin three times a day for about 6 days does the trick just as well, and with no significant side effects. But try getting a doc to prescribe that for you! There is a private company working on a drug version of this process, but..... when? and how much will it cost?....

Don't let this damp your optimism, however--and we can all hope that you hopeful guess is fulfilled!
    Best wishes, Chris.
  5. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Thanks Chris, I've always liked a little splash of cold water with my fantasies!

Teasing aside, love how you're a successful example of us often having to become our own doctors/research scientists and test patients to try to treat ourselves. Brilliant work there.

A little bit of moisture won't hamper me. I think we might be pleasantly surprised by what happens within 3 years. I think we're close to reaching critical mass. The valid research on ME/CFS is coming out more quickly. XMRV may show a cause, and link us to numerous other diseases so we become much larger, more powerful, wealthier entity that groups fight over to research. I find the work in cancer viruses and the multiple links to ME/CFS that are starting to show-up intriguing..... And also the emerging power of patients in settings such as this.

This is when quantum jumps happen, huge shifts in 'reality', in technology, societal understanding, political backing, funding...............

We will see.
  6. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    the neuroscience of screwing up

I just came across this article today. It is long. I think it is brilliant. Please read the original article. Here are some excerpts.

Accept Defeat: The Neuroscience of Screwing Up

by Jonah Lehrer
    December 21, 2009
    Wired Jan 2010

7. jewel

jewel Senior Member

Thank you!

See more popular forum discussions.