• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trouble booking appointment with Dr Chia from UK

Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying to make my appointment with Dr Chia, but I’ve got a problem, and I’m hoping there might be others out there from the UK who have seen him that can help me out.

I rang his office and was told that my GP would need to fax over a referral request with my diagnosis, and once they had that I could then call back and book an appointment. Ok, no problem. So I saw the first available doctor as I wanted it done asap, and was told that due to patient confidentiality, she couldn’t just fax my details out. She said they could do it via email (through the NHS’s secure system), or, after the request had been passed from the locum I saw to my usual doctor, my doctor said Dr Chia’s office would have to fax her first, saying that I wanted to book an appointment and could my GP send a referral request back to them.
So, I rang ID Med again, gave them the details they needed, and they said they would fax my doctor. I did ask about an email address instead, but wasn’t given one as they chose the fax route. That was on May 11th. I found out today that my GP hadn’t yet received said fax, so I’ve just called ID Med, and the lady I spoke to remembered me and said she did try to send it twice, but it wouldn’t go through as it kept saying the line was busy, but after checking the number with her (she got two digets the wrong way round when she read it back to me, and when I corrected her the impression I got was that she’d just read it out wrong, not written it wrong, so who knows) she said she would try again.

Did anyone else have to go through this with their GP? I said I would sign something to give them permission to fax my details out if need be, but nothing has come of that. I just feel like I’m going round in circles, now, and it’s taking so long. I’ll admit I didn’t realise my GP had to request the appointment - I thought as I would be a private patient, paying myself and not through insurance, I could just book my own appointment. It’s just left me even more fatigued than usual and more than a bit worried that I won’t get an appointment at all.

Stretched

I don’t know why you want to see Chia, unless you’re dealing with mysterious enteroviruses. His protocols are pretty narrow and discussed in other sections of this forum.
You’l be Doing a lot of travel and spending $$$ to hear what may already outlined here. Try a search in the forum threads and see if you really want to go be tested. The
treatments for the circle of possible findings are already posted around here, e.g. equilibrant, valvyte and the like. Retroviruses also have a short list of trial rxs, again listed here. Your $5000 on a visit would otherwise buy you multiple protocols. I went this route after coming close to an office visit, traveling from the US east coast. I had even sent med records and GP reports as his office’s request. FWIW, the relative rxs turned out not to help much, if at all; and I still have $$ left for other from a trip not taken... .

Last edited:
I’m already going to LA later this year, and it only occurred to me after sorting it that I could see a doctor while I was there. But I didn’t just want to see him because he was closest, but because I was very interested in his research - I don’t know if I’m dealing with any enteroviruses as I can’t get testing for that over here (it’s hard to get tested for anything to do with these illnesses in the UK), but it was an avenue I hadn’t explored before, and when I first posted about it on here I heard some positive things (I also searched other threads as well).
What does $5000 cover? Is it the consultation and the tests? I only ask because I forgot to enquire about it when I was on the phone to the clinic and want to know what I need to aim for.

Stretched

I was referring the $5k to your flight, hotels food, etc while traveling. But you’re going to spend that anyway... . I don’t know Chia’s fees but he a master doc so it wii
be pricey. BTW, the Haltorff clinic is around the corner from Chia’s office if you’re maximizing doc visits. Search here and google for his methods. He gets mixed
reviews mostly due to his practicing ‘over his head.’ I’d see him if I was already in/near Torrance, CA.

Dolphin

Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying to make my appointment with Dr Chia, but I’ve got a problem, and I’m hoping there might be others out there from the UK who have seen him that can help me out.

I rang his office and was told that my GP would need to fax over a referral request with my diagnosis, and once they had that I could then call back and book an appointment. Ok, no problem. So I saw the first available doctor as I wanted it done asap, and was told that due to patient confidentiality, she couldn’t just fax my details out. She said they could do it via email (through the NHS’s secure system), or, after the request had been passed from the locum I saw to my usual doctor, my doctor said Dr Chia’s office would have to fax her first, saying that I wanted to book an appointment and could my GP send a referral request back to them.
So, I rang ID Med again, gave them the details they needed, and they said they would fax my doctor. I did ask about an email address instead, but wasn’t given one as they chose the fax route. That was on May 11th. I found out today that my GP hadn’t yet received said fax, so I’ve just called ID Med, and the lady I spoke to remembered me and said she did try to send it twice, but it wouldn’t go through as it kept saying the line was busy, but after checking the number with her (she got two digets the wrong way round when she read it back to me, and when I corrected her the impression I got was that she’d just read it out wrong, not written it wrong, so who knows) she said she would try again.

Did anyone else have to go through this with their GP? I said I would sign something to give them permission to fax my details out if need be, but nothing has come of that. I just feel like I’m going round in circles, now, and it’s taking so long. I’ll admit I didn’t realise my GP had to request the appointment - I thought as I would be a private patient, paying myself and not through insurance, I could just book my own appointment. It’s just left me even more fatigued than usual and more than a bit worried that I won’t get an appointment at all.
From my limited experience, many people in the US are not accustomed to contacting people in other countries.

So perhaps they don't know that to phone outside the US (and presumably also fax) you put 011 first, so it is 01144 etc.