• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trigger point that causes a heart arhythmia

sueami

I've been having significant trouble with heart arhythmias in recent weeks and noticed that I've also been having chest pains, but on my right side. (An echocardiogram came up all clear for me, so always worth checking out the worst case scenario first)

I finally pulled out my Trigger Point Workbook because I was curious if TPs could mimic acid reflux, as the chest pain was morphing into a burning sensation that felt like reflux but was simply too far to the right to be related to my esophagus.

I was really excited to find a trigger point that causes heart arhythmias and to find some of the more generalized pain TPs in the pec major. I've been working some of these TPs off and on for many months and I'm going to get more focused now and see if I can completely eliminate them.

I thought this might be useful information for people who are plagued with arhythmia -- it's a pretty simple thing to palpate for the specific TP and working it is pretty simple, if painful.

http://books.google.com/books?id=DLb7ShX-gskC&pg=PA187&lpg=PA187&dq=trigger point pectoralis major heart arrhythmia&source=bl&ots=Gz4olMXDhN&sig=2YX7LmKcoq2FH5sVpwmzGOVKfUA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5esyVKaeOdP4yQTemYCIAQ&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=trigger point pectoralis major heart arrhythmia&f=false

Clair Davies isn't the only practictioner to mention this TP causing arhythmias

Janet Travel is the physician who really pioneered trigger point therapy in this country:

http://www.holisticdentist.com/articles/cardiac-pain-arrhytmia.html

http://www.triggerpointtherapist.co...oralis-major-trigger-points-cardiac-copycats/

JalapenoLuv

I don't buy it. None of those references are definitive. Trigger points are inflammed, dysfunctional muscle bundle fibers. The innervation of the pec major muscle is C5-T1 but the innervation of the heart is T1-T4. There isn't much overlap, only one level. Don't get me wrong if the area hurts it needs treatment (preferably by an orthopedically certified PT) but I don't think its related to the arrythmia.

sueami

Hi Martial, I don't have inflammation at the tender sites and I'm quite familiar with trigger points. These feel and behave like them. Both the arhythmia and the chest pain are nearly imperceptible now, but there's no saying why definitively. As with many of the symptoms I've experienced in recent years, the waxing and waning can be quite mysterious.

That said, I'm quite happy they've pretty much resolved and I consider trigger point work to be a simple, not-very-invasive possibility to explore.

Last edited: