Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Trigger identified that likely unleashes autoimmune disease

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by deleder2k, May 16, 2015.

1. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Australian researchers believe they have discovered a group of cells that trigger autoimmune disease, as well as the molecular 'trigger guard' that normally holds them in check.

Source: ScienceDaily.com

Published in the respected journal "Immunity" (impact factor 19.748 as of 2013)

@Jonathan Edwards, what do you think of the research conducted Down Under? Are they into something, and is it plausible that rogue germinal centre B cells could pave the way for ME?

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    wastwater, leokitten, ahmo and 9 others like this.
  2. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Does this then suggest a genetic/epigenetic element to some autoimmune diseases even though the production of rogue germinal B cells is random?

3. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Very interesting, especially the IgE link.

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Yes, of course.

The model that these researchers developed however, generated a lot of IgE antibodies rather than IgG, and so this particular finding may only be relevant to autoimmune conditions where IgE antibodies are implicated in the disease.

Marco likes this.
  5. msf

msf Senior Member

It seems to be an explanation for some autoimmune diseases rather than all autoimmune diseases. From what I've just read, ALPS is usually diagnosed early in life, which would seem to make FAS mutations a unlikely cause of autoimmune diseases that develop later in life.

Bob likes this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

A bit odd really. My own group suggested that autoimmunity was due to rogue germinal centre B cells in 1999 so that does not seem very new! And Fas defects causing autoimmunity in mice with lymphoproliferation has been around since the lpr gene was found in MRL/lpr mice around 1982. Maybe this group have not realised they have re-invented a well known spontaneous mutant model.

As Snow Leopard points out, the difficulty in relating this to human autoimmunity is the focus on IgE. IgE is not really a feature of human autoimmunity. You can find IgE autoantibodies if you look hard but none of the autoimmune disease I know of use IgE effector mechanisms. And at a simpler level, humans with autoimmunity do not have Fas defects. I think we told a rather better story in 1999 that makes a bit more sense than this. What immunological colleagues never seemed to 'get' is that the rogue cells in autoimmunity are completely normal in all respects except the antibody they make. Colleagues would hold up there hands in horror and say 'why should their be rogue mutating cells in autoimmunity - what would cause it?'. The simple answer is that mutating is what B cells do for a living so you do not need any special cause or trigger. You just need the antibody to crash the regulatory system.

So the title of this piece is certainly wrong I think - this is not the trigger for human autoimmune disease - because humans don't have the Fas defect and there ain't no trigger.

7. Jonathan Edwards

Another point is that Fas defect animals get every autoimmune problem under the sun. Humans get one at a time - or occasionally a couple of associated ones.

Mij and MeSci like this.
  8. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    So basically this is a FAS defect disease that affects apoptosis of cells which may include rogue B cells rather than an autoimmune disease per se?

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Seems more towards the right end to me. It becomes semantic, but these poor animals have a lot more problems than just autoantibodies.

MeSci likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.