Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tribunal orders QMUL to release anonymised PACE data 16 Aug 2016

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    lycaena, leela, Yogi and 60 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

:):):)

Thank you, Mr Matthees.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    leela, Yogi, ME_guy and 30 others like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

The full decision is at http://www.informationtribunal.gov.uk/DBFiles/Decision/i1854/Queen Mary University of London EA-2015-0269 (12-8-16).PDF

As a brief recap, the ICO had agreed that the PACE data should be released. Queen Mary University of London, where PACE was registered, disagreed and took the case to a Tribunal. The Tribunal has now sided with the ICO, and held that the data should be released.

QMUL can still appeal, but it is extremely unlikely that their appeal would be accepted. And hopefully QMUL doesn't want to go spending more money to support some "researchers" hiding publicly-funded data anyhow :p

leela, Yogi, L'engle and 33 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    @Valerie Eliot Smith - do you know how long QMUL have to make an appeal (on legal grounds only, now)?

leela, L'engle, mango and 6 others like this.
  5. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Oh frabjous day! Thanks to all who fought so hard for this.

:balloons:

leela, ME_guy, L'engle and 25 others like this.
  6. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    Some strong statements by the tribunal in the judgement!

MEMum, leela, L'engle and 16 others like this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It's an interesting read. The tribunal members were not impressed by claims about risk of identification or the claim that criticism of the trial and FOI requests were due to a campaign with malicious intent. The words "wild speculations" were used at some point.

MEMum, leela, SDSue and 28 others like this.
  8. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

QMUL spend 200k on lawyers for this court case and they still couldn't win or provide a convincing argument.

I think they have limited grounds for appeal but they clearly are willing to spend vast amounts of public money on keeping the data private. I wonder if the head of QMUL will issue a statement as to why he thinks it is necessary to spend such amounts of money on this and what checks he has made into the claims of White prior to authorizing the expenditure.

MEMum, leela, justy and 20 others like this.
  9. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Assuming QMUL doesn't appeal (or its appeal fails) the data then released should allow analysis to see how many people recovered according the the original protocol (ie before the authors moved the goalposts). It's highly unlikely to be anywhere near the 22% claimed by PACE (a figure approvingly repeated in the UK's House of Lords) and should give patients a more accurate estimate of the curative power of CBT and GET.

The State (and taxpayers) ultimately fund clinical research for the benefit of patients, so it's important patients get accurate, reliable information on the effectiveness of any tested treatments. And researchers should not, in my view, go to such lengths to hide their data from scrutiny: it might be in their interests, it's not in the interests of patients.

MEMum, lycaena, leela and 48 others like this.
  10. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Oh joy.

leela, mango, Bob and 8 others like this.
  11. adreno

adreno PR activist

Fantastic news!

MEMum, leela, mango and 7 others like this.
  12. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    I think the best bit may be the bottom of page 36 and top of 37 where they state

... "Professor Chalder's evidence when she accepts that unpleasant things have been said to and about PACE researchers only, but that no threats have been made to researchers or participants. The highest she could put it was that some participants stated that they had been made to feel "uncomfortable" as a result of their contact with and treatment from her, not because of their participation in the trial per se. "

Now if only the journalists convinced that we pose a threat to researchers could read this, and remember it next time the story comes around.

MEMum, leela, Roy S and 29 others like this.
  13. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I have just made myself a cup of coffee, and am settling down to read every word of the 48 page judgement. Bliss :smug:.

MEMum, leela, justy and 31 others like this.
  14. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member

Don't forget section (iv) of the majority decision (on page 40). "It was clear that (Professor Anderson's) assessment of activist behaviour was, in our view, grossly exaggerated and the only actual evidence was that an individual at a seminar had heckled Professor Chalder."

It's now on record that when the PACE lobby were asked to produce evidence of a campaign of harassment, the best they could manage was an isolated incident of heckling. This decision should be *very* helpful the next time anyone needs to rebut the SMC's wild claims about "ME militants"

MEMum, lycaena, leela and 50 others like this.
  15. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

justy, L'engle, Sea and 20 others like this.
  16. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

If the "campaign of harassment" is really "an individual heckled Chalder at a seminar", I wonder what PACE's 22% recovered claim will turn out to be? #nullfield

MEMum, leela, justy and 22 others like this.
  17. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    thanks @Stewart, I read that when I was skimming the pdf but could not find it when it came time to write a comment.

and it is kind of genius isn't it. On record, in front of people who cross-examine them all that nonsense just evaporates. I wish we had a transcript or video.

And journalists who a) gave a damn, and b) were upset about being mislead.

MEMum, leela, justy and 18 others like this.
  18. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

How embarrassing.

Time to end this madness.

Good work to all involved!

Shame on QMUL.

leela, L'engle, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  19. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

About Mr Matthees concern that QMUL restrict their sharing to friendly searchers team:

MEMum, lycaena, leela and 30 others like this.
  20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think it likely they will try to appeal, but given the history its probably only a matter of time, even if the appeal is allowed to go ahead, before they have to release the data.

As for evidence that the treatments do not work, there have been three large government reviews, in Belgium and Holland, and they found patients are no better off with CBT/GET.

MEMum, leela, justy and 20 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.