• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TRIAL BY ERROR: The Troubling Case of the PACE Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study

Kati

Patient in training
Tonight's tweet from Vincent Racaniello:

xe1wSfA9_normal.jpg
Vincent Racaniello (@profvrr)
2015-11-04, 11:21 AM
This Week in David Tuller! Good #podcast idea too. I'm sure you would have enough to say. twitter.com/davidtuller1/s…

:cool::cool::cool::cool::rolleyes:

Sean

This paper on the statistical issues may establish basic grounds for a case of scientific fraud. They cannot cite accident or mistake or oversight. Its deliberate. Deliberate skewing of data, and then misrepresenting that without oodles of caveats, is not acceptable scientific behaviour.
Yep, absolutely nowhere to hide on this one. It was deliberate. They knew exactly what they were doing.

jimells

How the Science Media Centre influenced media reporting of PACE in 2011.

The Science Media Centre interviewed a long line of sycophantic 'Experts' to accompany the publication of PACE by the Lancet in 2011. They now sound like complete idiots. :

This is a great collection of quotes. Thanks for putting it together.

By next week these same "experts" will be saying

Simon Who? Never heard of him.

jimells

Yeah. Does this mean we get to go take a nap for a few months now? :angel:

Nope. The Wessely School is in disorderly retreat - now is the time to redouble the attack. No resting allowed until they are in court.

I believe that Dr Tuller is methodically and carefully zeroing in on the real target: the fraud and corruption behind the entire sordid exercise.

It remains me of the collapse of the Berlin Wall. One day it seemed unassailable. The next, it was gone.

alex3619

No resting allowed until they are in court.
I believe that it could be far worse than that for them. One thing they really do not want is an independent review of what they have done by experts. They could lose their academic careers, and their medical licenses, and be subject to further legal sanctions. Their legacy of papers will be put under the microscope, and some or many or all may be retracted.

Kati

Patient in training
I believe that it could be far worse than that for them. One thing they really do not want is an independent review of what they have done by experts. They could lose their academic careers, and their medical licenses, and be subject to further legal sanctions. Their legacy of papers will be put under the microscope, and some or many or all may be retracted.
Here is to hoping. They deserve all of the above. i would hope for all the papers to be retracted. Nice guidelines to go away.

It reminds me of the Iceland bankers story, the ones who disrupted the global markets back in 2008 or so. All of them to jail.

Yogi

Yes, I know Seema and asked if she would look into writing about PACE. She said she's working on a big project now and can't take it on.

Thanks for asking Viggster- it's good that that you asked her rather than one of us that she doesn't know. That is a shame as she could be great if she investigated this further. American journalists are generally doing a good job. If you have any contact with journalists on this side of the pond to break the Science Media Centre's magic spell on them that would very helpful!!

Cheers