Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Trial by Error: The Dutch Studies +

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by worldbackwards, Dec 2, 2016.

1. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
  2. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    I like this:
    "Maybe ten sessions of poker-playing or ten sessions of watching Seinfeld reruns while holding hands with the therapist and singing “The Girl from Ipanema” in falsetto would have produced the same results."

Might give it a try.

3. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    I am embarrassed to be Dutch right now :depressed:

4. worldbackwards

Earth
    Imagine what it's like being British.

Izola, Joh, taniaaust1 and 26 others like this.
  5. Jan

Jan Senior Member

Devon UK
    I do love a good David Tuller story time. I imagine us all sitting around, like we used to in infant school, listening to someone like Joanna Lumley or Robin Williams (RIP) reading it to us. He never fails to catch the baddies in the stories, but I'm still waiting for the bit where he says 'and they all lived happily ever after' One can but dream.

6. Countrygirl

Countrygirl I'm with Cheesus

UK
    Thank you for the entertainment! Pigeons coming home to roost at last I think. Prof Holgate would be wise to distance himself from his close friend Esther before his scientific credibility is ripped to shreds.

Woolie, TiredSam, Mel9 and 5 others like this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Yes, the entire evidence base for CBT/GET is a pile of shit. The reality is that CBT/GET doesn't work and that the cognitive behavioral model of CFS is nonsense. If they worked and the model was correct, this constant distortion of reality present in every single study in some form or another wouldn't be necessary.

8. eafw

eafw Senior Member

UK
    He is a good writer, and that article is a real zinger.

"That this so-called science manages to get through peer review is astonishing."

It is indeed.

9. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Save PR. Sack the President of the Board.

I love the way he tells it. All those lovely expressions like 'preposterous', 'WTF', 'flat-earth'.

Does my heart good.

10. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    I hear you. Same here. I'm really really sorry guys. But very thankful David Tuller is covering this.
    I almost have to thank Esther Crawley for this.

11. Esther12

Esther12

I was a bit unsure about some of that, and wonder if his (justified) frustration could mean he writes in a way that is less likely to convert people not already on-side.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  12. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

I've noticed in life that there is selective bias in hearing among people. It all depends who's saying something not how they're saying it that causes the message to be heard or not.

Just try this as a woman. Tell someone from a society where women's voices are not heard something you know to be true then see what response that gets compared to one of their buddies or your father or any man telling them the same thing.

People who would not listen to people with ME may well listen to someone with a PhD in public health even if he is rather snarky--perhaps even more so since it is provocative.

taniaaust1, TrixieStix, Mel9 and 10 others like this.
  13. Esther12

Esther12

That could well be true. I don't know.

14. worldbackwards

Earth
    Whatever it's effect, it has been interesting to watch his generally measured, though occasionally barbed critique evolve into a Margaret Williams-esque fury over the course of the last year.

One explanation is that he sick of having to make the same arguments over and over again about the same old bullshit that just keeps on coming regardless; a predictable reaction.

Another is that he thinks the wider audience he's talking to is becoming more receptive, to the degree that he no longer needs to pull his punches. Maybe it's both.

lemonworld, taniaaust1, actup and 9 others like this.
  15. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

He may have thought that after his original trial by error series, that more people would speak out and the Lancet and PACE trial authors would be at least held accountable.

Id say he might be getting frustrated that despite everything he is saying nothing is happening to the fraudsters.

It's probably more incredulous to him now because he has told the story to the general public yet still nothing has changed.

Anyway, whatever is going through his mind, I'm liking it.

16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Yet another Tuller article posted to my Facebook page.

I got a chuckle out of this:

Jan, Chrisb, Solstice and 10 others like this.
  17. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Oh, in falsetto. Damn. Try, try again.

lemonworld, Mel9, soti and 10 others like this.
  18. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    For me "and they all choked on their own words" would be good.

Webdog, Countrygirl, Solstice and 5 others like this.
  19. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    http://www.theopennotebook.com/2012/01/18/david-tuller-cfs/
    This may have got him started on the road to investigating what was happening and my be a driving force for him today.

lemonworld, actup, Jan and 6 others like this.
  20. actup

actup Senior Member

Pacific NW
    "I was a bit unsure about some of that, and wonder if his (justified) frustration could mean he writes in a way that is less likely to convert people not already on-side".

@Esther12, I appreciate your concerns above (sorry don't know how to do 'quote' window). Quiet voices have not worked well for us. We desperately need loud, eloquent, well respected and well informed voices like David Tuller's. We are too sick and vulnerable to be as loud as we need to be. It takes a lot of energy we don't have.

I think I'm way past any concerns with offending tptb.
    They( tptb in the UK and the US who lead the way) have a long term agenda which primarily concerns saving large amounts of money by throwing cbt/get at every difficult to diagnose neuro immune illness out there ( guessing me/cfs represents the biggest savings due to the numbers).

In a recessionary economy they double down on this agenda. I see the BPSers as propagandists for the insurance cos and govt rather than real researchers. I'm much more concerned about offending people like David Tuller who consistently stands up for us rather than these pseudo researchers and others committed to this "soft" eugenics agenda.

taniaaust1, Jan, TiredSam and 5 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.