May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Trial by error, Continued: PACE Team’s Work for Insurance Companies Is “Not Related” to PACE. Really

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Tom Kindlon, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

dangermouse, atleje, Asa and 21 others like this.
  2. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

It's getting deeper though ... If they keep digging who knows what they might find.

This is something they can't sweep under the carpet. Not sure how they'll defend themselves - presumably by redefining a few more words.

3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

4. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

This is another great article byTuller, very many thanks, and to Prof Racaniello too.

5. adreno

adreno PR activist

More brilliant stuff from Tuller!

Asa and moosie like this.
  6. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

The more I read about this and the FOI requests and the harassment claims and wesselys involvement with smc, the more I realise this story isn't about bad science at all.

It is potentially far bigger .... Scientists being influenced by insurance companies to produce studies with no scientific basis whatsoever. An orchestrated campaign to fool everybody into thinking this disease isnt worth researching because it's all the patients fault. This story could be one of the biggest cons of all time. Any why ....greed, power, status. This story has a long way to go.

HowToEscape?, atleje, Asa and 16 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yep. This goes way past a little 'spat' in some remote corner of medicine.

MEMum, Asa, jimells and 6 others like this.
  8. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Excuse me for being a bit slow on the uptake. This may be all too well-known to many people. But have I got this right (from reading the forum linked by Tom)? Peter White was (and is?) being paid by Scottish Provident and advising on employment insurance payouts for people diagnosed me/cfs at the same time as he was involved with the PACE trial? That can't be true. Can someone clarify?

9. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Absolutely true. Was highlighted in the Gibson enquiry if I recall rightly. Nothing was done.

Some people are above suspicion. Others have their every word trashed in public. Welcome to medical politics. ;)

dangermouse, MEMum, Asa and 7 others like this.
  10. sarah darwins

Cornwall, UK
    Bloody hell.

I only dived into this swamp around the start of this year, so I'm still making new, odorous discoveries almost every day. But that one pretty much takes the prize.

And it's thanks to the research carried out by this paragon of impartiality that we have to put up with the likes of Rod Liddle telling the world that the 'science' is clear and ME is nothing that a nice chat and a brisk walk won't cure? I think Liddle still describes himself as a journalist. If he actually was one, this is the story he'd be writing.

I think I need a lie-down. Bloody hell (again). Excuse my language.

dangermouse, MEMum, Sea and 11 others like this.
  11. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    sarah darwins likes this.
  12. CantThink

CantThink Senior Member

England, UK
    Oh @sarah darwins this made me chuckle :lol: though I know it's a sad and serious topic. I think that part of your comment sums life with M.E. up quite well!

MEMum, jimells, Asa and 2 others like this.
  13. worldbackwards

Earth
    Here we are, bottom of page 30:
    They're referring to Peter White, who drew up the DLA guidelines published a year or two after this.

MEMum, jimells, aimossy and 3 others like this.
  14. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

And not just Peter White.

During the period when PACE was being planned and executed, Michael Sharpe was involved with Unum Provident, Reassure, Windsor Life, Aegon UK, and others.

MEMum, jimells, aimossy and 8 others like this.
  15. sarah darwins

Cornwall, UK
    So that's in the section of the report called How the Department for Work and Pensions Formulates CFS/ME Policy. Their Research Issues section doesn't mention how these same conflicts of interest raise questions about studies funded by the MRC, which feels like an oversight. They do, of course, mention that in the years 2003 to 2006, when the report was written, the MRC funded 5 essentially biopsychosocial ME projects while rejecting 10 biomedical ones. I'm running out ways to say "Good grief".

jimells, aimossy, CantThink and 8 others like this.
  16. sarah darwins

Cornwall, UK
    My suffering has not been in vain :)

p.s. I had my lie-down and this stuff looks just as bad as it did earlier.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    MEMum, jimells, Chrisb and 4 others like this.
  17. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

The only hope is that somewhere there might be issues which could interest the IRS. They have been known to resolve complex cases.

18. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

The good news is that in 2 years time the rtx phase 3 results will tell the world what we already know...that this is a real disease.

Anyone who is associated with cbt/get will have serious questions to answer then.
    And any self respecting journalist who was taken in by the psycholobby will turn on them pretty quickly ...

Our PACE authors have 2 years before their careers are over and they face justice. They will come out fighting I am sure but don't worry, every day is one day closer to the end for these fraudsters.

In the meantime we can enjoy turning the screw on them.

John Mac and jimells like this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Another good piece. I'm starting to take these for granted now.

20. worldbackwards

Earth
    Highlight of my week. It's come to that.

Tom Kindlon, catly, Sean and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.