Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Trial By Error, Continued: CMRC to Virology Blog: “F**k Off!”

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Cheshire, May 10, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Things are heating up:

Trial By Error, Continued: CMRC to Virology Blog: “F**k Off!”
    by David Tuller, DrPH

http://www.virology.ws/2017/05/10/trial-by-error-continued-cmrc-to-virology-blog-fk-off/

suseq, Esperanza, Cohen2 and 19 others like this.
  2. Wolfiness

Wolfiness Activity Level 0

UK
    It's almost as though things professors do will have consequences now.

Solstice, Marky90 and MEMum like this.
  3. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    So do they have any official standing when applying for funding? Oh sorry, that's MEGA isn't it, completely different body. Seems they can switch between official and unofficial as it suits them depending on whether they feel like doing anything or not.

Wasn't the open letter addressed to the CMRC board? Isn't that what Sonja Chowdhury said as her excuse for not commenting on it - it was addressed to the CMRC board? So the CMRC response to a letter to the board is for Stephen Holgate to dictate a response to everybody without waiting for the next board meeting, a discussion, a vote? Just "Friends, do this". I wish I could hear him say the word "friends", I wonder if it's pronounced with a false smile, gritted teeth and the hint of a threat? As in "Friends, I would like to suggest ... " or are they all really his friends so no coercion is necessary?

Anyway, great fun to see them shooting themselves in the foot and displaying their true colours to the world again.

And for all the individual board members, charity members and observers at the CMRC, silence isn't enough. Who wouldn't want to distance themselves from this filth?

Sea, Esperanza, Solstice and 20 others like this.
  4. TiredSam

Germany
    Is David Tuller aware that in libelling him, EC was merely following the policy of the CMRC defined at it's inception?

@Dx Revision Watch didn't all members of the collaborative have to sign something agreeing not to criticize (sorry "harrass") their colleagues, and to remain silent if their colleagues decided to indulge in a bit of libel (sorry again, "respond to harrassment")?

MEMum and AndyPR like this.
  5. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

We should remember that they tried to police their organisation to keep out undesirables who may have 'harassed' researchers. Of course those who continually stigmatize patients were fine. Now their deputy chair is going around harassing other academics by publically accusing them of libel then they actively stay silent.

The UK medical community as represented by people such as Holgate seem determined to back bad science such as PACE and Fitnet-NHS and are happy to try to shut up those raising concerns. They will of course look increasingly isolated and old fashioned to the rest of the world.

6. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

Isn't Crawley harassing fellow researchers (Prof Racaniello is a researcher and Tuller is an academic).

7. TiredSam

Germany
    You've been watching too much Versailles.

8. TiredSam

Germany
    Yes but they're not in the CMRC. BPS definition of "fellow researcher" applies. If you're not in the tent / bubble, you're not one.

Esperanza, Solstice, JaimeS and 3 others like this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

10. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

People like Holgate, Crawley, White, Chalder etc ... are not interested in the suffering sick CFS / ME patients or the real cause. These people are narcissistic and serve their financial gain. They demonize CFS / ME patients. If karma exists they have a problem. Eventually they will pay the price for their misconduct.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Esperanza, Solstice, Marky90 and 6 others like this.
  11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It's now pretty clear that the culture at the CMRC is founded on worrying attitudes towards open debate and scrutiny. I don't think Holgate is close to having what it takes to move forward research into this condition.

MEMum, Jan, Solstice and 21 others like this.
  12. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Highly Vexatious

RE: the pathetic response to Tuller's letter. This should not surprise us - just think of the extent to which these people have acted with impunity against a patient group. I point blank refuse to give any money to any ME charity involved in an organisation that wantonly defames seriously ill people. The CRMC deserves to be shunned by patients. I realise the charities will keep making excuses, but the CRMC's arrogance and dismissal of a scandalous episode like this pretty much sums up the mentality involved. We only have to look at the posts on recent pages to see the nature of this organisation, and the problems that have been there right from the beginning.

In other news, saw a tweet from the footballer Stan Collymore earlier relating to a row he had with Piers Morgan. Collymore was speaking about mental health issues, and how they can affect people with money, and referred to three other serious illnesses - cancer, AIDS and ME - that you can get if you're rich in the course of his response. So he ranked ME in there with AIDS and cancer.

Video and article here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/this-isnt-mood-swing-its-10391636

CFS_for_19_years, Jan, suseq and 13 others like this.
  13. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

Does anyone else find the language odd? " Friends".......etc etc.

These are a group of professional colleagues.
    It's clear that only a specific few will be invited into their tent.

I am concerned that their approach will never be professional and they are incapable of multidisciplinary science. Those of us with ME will suffer for ever at their hands.

Again how this affects funding applications where these people and their research predominate I really doubt. It's not science. It's the in crowd mentality.

MEMum, Jan, Esperanza and 16 others like this.
  14. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

Esperanza, Solstice, JaimeS and 9 others like this.
  15. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Highly Vexatious

Everything they are doing is only making things worse, but I think it is indicative of the basic contempt they have for the patient population.

MEMum, suseq, Esperanza and 11 others like this.
  16. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

It would be possible to interpret David Tuller's letter as an invitation to the CMRC to pass a vote of no confidence, in the absence of a prior resignation. Holgate's response is clear enough. It appears to be an expression of confidence. There are other Board members who will, like it or not, be associated with this decision.

Jan, Esperanza, Solstice and 8 others like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Holgate, a master at passive aggressivity.

Kindest regards,
    Snowy

MEMum, Solstice, Esther12 and 10 others like this.
  18. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    Indeed and they have people on this site as well!

Luther Blissett likes this.
  19. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Owner of Dx Revision Watch

UK
    The CMRC Charter for Members originally included this clause:

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/pdfs/cmrc-charter.pdf

3.2 Applying for membership

3.2.3 Members will be required to sign a declaration that they will not take part in the harassment or abuse of researchers. Neither will they take part in orchestrated campaigns against those conducting peer-reviewed research.

Which by 2016 had been revised to:

3.1.3. All members must not take part in the harassment of researchers including taking part in orchestrated campaigns against those conducting peer-reviewed research. This does not prevent engagement in appropriate scientific debate.

Edited to add:

This version of the Charter dates from August 2016:

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/pdfs/cmrc-charter-aug-2016.pdf

3.2 Membership Requirements

Good scientific debate promotes and drives the highest quality of basic and applied evidenced based and peer-reviewed research in to CFS/ME and is actively encouraged by the CMRC. This includes respectful debate and objective, constructive criticism in order to encourage critical thinking. Channels for ‘good’ scientific debate include writing letters to journals, asking questions, using established legal channels.

suseq, Esperanza, Orla and 13 others like this.
  20. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Owner of Dx Revision Watch

UK
    Zero accountability?

Could we please hear from @charles shepherd what response he has received from Prof Holgate?

suseq, Esperanza, Solstice and 18 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.