The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Trial by error cont'd: My 'tear it up' talk at Invest in ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kati, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

http://www.virology.ws/2017/06/04/trial-by-error-continued-my-tear-it-up-talk-at-invest-in-me/

New blogpost by David today. It starts like this:
    More at the link above.

Jennifer J, Jo Best, Ritto and 23 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Can anyone explain what a cease-and-desist order is?

Luther Blissett likes this.
  3. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  4. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Cannot seem to find a good link, but it seems that only a judge can send a cease and desist order, though anyone (or their lawyer) can send a cease and desist letter. Basically requiring someone to stop whatever it is they are doing, and to not start doing it again.

Edit: Ah ... there was a good link :)

5. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

I bet that would go down well.

GreyOwl and Luther Blissett like this.
  6. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    They just might be beginning to realise that because we have truth and facts on our side, that sort of publicity would be the very thing they have striven so hard all these years to suppress.

Mary, PennyIA, dangermouse and 3 others like this.
  7. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Well, I hope she remains to act stupid and callous. It just shows her for what she is and as you said publicity might not be in their interest this time.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    dangermouse and Barry53 like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Kati, trishrhymes and dangermouse like this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    If she's really going to send one, it looks like it can be used as a cheap option to try and intimidate someone, which is just about her level. The first thing that will happen if she sends one is that Tuller will put it up on his blog and she'll become an even bigger laughing stock, if that's possible. He'll also be able to send her one back, to cease and desist using the image of his website on her slides and stop making slanderous accusations of libel.

Jan, ukxmrv, Solstice and 10 others like this.
  10. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

"Dr. Crawley’s reported intention to have Bristol University slap me with a cease-and-desist letter.."

From what he wrote she is going to try and get Bristol University to send it so it is going to be up to them to make the decision. So it will be interesting to see if they back her up.

11. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

If the university were to send such a letter it would suggest that the matters arise from her employment by the university. This could raise interesting questions, which I am in no position to answer.

Does it mean that the university might accept vicarious liability for any damage arising from the conduct of its employee?

12. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Would she really want the university to look more closely into what she's been up to. I doubt it. Depends what kind of power games she's playing there.

MEMum, Solstice, Kati and 3 others like this.
  13. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    And whether she really understands what she is getting herself into. I don't think her track record is very strong on that front.

MEMum and Solstice like this.
  14. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Ahhh, if only. I can't really see her (the university) doing this. I hope I'm very wrong.

Solstice and Wolfiness like this.
  15. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    They have not accepted reality yet? That tells you how delusional they are (BPS landers).

16. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Or would the university want a critical eye cast in their direction?

MEMum, Valentijn and Barry53 like this.
  17. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    In a way they have - their own version of it. They've effectively created their own belief system, and because they are such devout believers and shamans within it, they see it as unassailable. But I'm being pedantic (it's fun sometimes :p), and you are right ... somewhere along the way their bubble must surely burst.

MEMum and trishrhymes like this.
  18. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    You know I just read that other article about the new psy model. So historically the new psys will make up a new model and it is a no end pyramid scheme ( not Pyramud really but you get my point)
    1) Psy make up no evidence model to treat desease that have no scientific basis.
    2) Make Carrers and insurance fraud w new model.
    3) Too many plp discovered is all a scheme and house of cards start coming down.
    4) Makeup new model w no scientific basis. Repeat 2). Put in infinite loop until somebody realizes the craziness.

A whole career based on no scientific basis. I study wrong career.

19. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Bristol University may see EC as someone who brings in funding and prestige, so may be prepared to not look too critically / cover up for her and back her all the way, including with legal fees. We'll just have to wait and see which way the wind blows.

mango, ukxmrv, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  20. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

right now it's blowing a hoolie where I am!

See more popular forum discussions.