• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trental...anyone tried this

soxfan

I filled the prescription for Trental which was prescribed by my doctor for an over active immune system. I still have not taken it because I always have such bad reactions to most prescription medications.
I am considering trying something herbal instead which would help "calm" my system down. I have been doing alot of research on different ones.

I was curious if we all (who have CFS) are considered to have an overactive immune system and how do we know this.

I posted this question back in July and had no responses so am trying again....I am just worried about starting yet another medication. Anyone have any ideas or ever heard of this taken for this purpose? Thanks....

Hi Soxfan- just noticed this post. I was prescribed Trental years back for a while to help counter endotoxin reactions while undergoing combination antibiotic therapy for chronic Chlamydia pneumoniae infection (you can see more about this infection at cpnhelp.org). Certain bacteria generate LPS endotoxin which is dumped en mass during antibiotic therapy and cause a clamp-down on peripheral circulation, amongst other things. These actually are the true "Herxheimer reactions," a term that has come to cover a broad range of die-off reactions while treating chronic infections. The reactions being treated were chills, icy hands and feet, etc.. I eventually found that Emergen-C doses did a better job of countering endotoxin reactions and stopped using the Trental.

I'm not familiar with its use for over-active immune system, although I see there's some mention about it related to endometriosis. Most of us with CFS/ME tend to have under-active immune systems (low NK cells, hypogammaglobulinemia, etc.) but overactive inflammatory responses. As I recall, I had no negative reactions to the Trental at all. It seemed rather benign to me in its effect, perhaps mildly helpful with the endotoxin reactions. Of course, I was so horribly sick at the time from the Cpn that I'm not sure I would have noticed much unless it distinctly made things worse.

soxfan

Thanks so much for your reply. I had just about given up on anyone ever taken this or heard of it being used for an over active immune system. I still have not decided what to do since I have such bad reactions to medications.
I am seeing one of the top CFS doctors but he normally doesn't prescribe the "typical" mediations most take on here. I really don't understand why he prescribed me this one.
I did ask his assistant and she said it was to "calm" my system down. I am not sure I even have overactive inflammatory responses....as I don't know what typical symptoms that would cause.

My NK cells as far as I know have never been tested. I have only ever had the typical blood tests...I will have to think some more before I put yet another pill in my mouth.
Thanks again for writing as it is very much appreciated!