1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

treatments/suggestions given to positives

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by Jim, Oct 18, 2009.

1. leaves

leaves Senior Member

NAC

Just an update; my dr recommended me to tae 3 x 500 mg NAC daily....

cheerio

2. Cloud

Cloud Guest

I would think a "double blind study" would not be uneccesary with drugs already FDA approved; Everyone in the study should get the drug.

I know there are some doctors trying AZT, but I wouldn't do it if I could because it may create a resistant mutation due to inadaquate treatment.

3. dipic

dipic Senior Member

Wow. :O I'm 6'2" and weigh 125lbs and I thought I was skinny!

4. hensue

hensue Senior Member

ok all of you know I am not up there with the Scientific stuff. I was on WIP's facebook site and one fan said she took plaquenil and Mikovitz even mentioned it. This drug is an immune modulator? She says she feels better.
    Do any of you take this drug or know about it? Is it for lupus or Ra?

5. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

Plaquinil is hydroxychloroquine, a drug that is mainly used to treat malaria (those strains that aren't resistant). It supposedly has the effect of taming down some aspect of the immune system so it could conceivably make someone who feels bad because of immune activation (or autoimmune disease) feel better.

The main advice I heard from my CFS Dr. regarding what they are telling people who have tested positive to XMRV was there was that antioxidants and NSAIDs might be helpful (and probably won't hurt). But mainly the advice was to sit tight and "dont do anything stupid" to make yourself worse between now and when they start clinical trials of XMRV therapy - which I got the idea where going to happen relatively soon. Similar, but not the same, to the Dr. Klimas "now is the worst time to give up" comment. They seem very nervous about people buying AZT or similar drugs on the black market and treating themselves and then causing themselves permanent harm - when the feeling is that there will be a more safe and effective therapy to try in the setting of a clinical trial sometime soon. "Sometime soon"... <fingers crossed>

6. Lily

Lily *Believe*

Hensue, Plaquenil is often used in the treatment of RA and Lupus and other auto-immune diseases. It's an old drug that supposedly works well, although it can take quite some time to show results.

7. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

The drug can cause severe occular damage which in some cases is irreversible causing blindness In many it is well tolerated but regular eye checks are essential

See more popular forum discussions.