1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome: findings, principles and strategies

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Fred Springfield recently posted this to Co-Cure pointing out:

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

From an academic point of view, I thought there were some useful quotes in this. Things some in the CBT school
    in the UK and probably the Netherlands wouldn't say.

I've left them in context a bit so it makes sense.

Of course, they are focussed on non-pharmacological interventions which I don't
    think are sufficient in this condition. And the comments probably wouldn't be enough to change the situation in the Belgium. But I think it is interesting to see them.

Tom

==========
    (repeats comments from earlier, to an extent)

(The last point is subgrouping - it is mentioned above but explicitly makes the point. Those in UK and the Netherlands generally say CBT is useful for all patients)
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

4. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

How interesting Tom - I hope charityfundraiser sees this - I'm fairly certain that some of the authors of this paper are the names that he quoted as being the Wessely/Whites of Belgium - maybe I'll PM him to confirm. If that's the case, I find this article presents some hope if they are recognizing to some extent that CBT/GET are not working and are recognizing sub-types. Maybe someday they'll GET (pun intended) that ME/CFS is an organic disease, and, as with all severe disease, counselling can help some people manage living with the disease better.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Thanks

Good idea.
    The authors in the paper in this thread could perhaps be said to be like that, although they have softened a bit in recent years - I don't know them as well as the UK and Dutch researchers.

The authors of the study that found no improvement in activity levels as measured by actometers are from the Netherlands. It should not be interpreted they have given up on CBT because of the results. There is no real softening of their language as such in the paper!

And I don't find it difficult to envisage somebody like Peter White softening.

Yes, I agree counselling can help some people with diseases cope with their illness which may directly or indirectly mean they manage their illness better.
  6. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

FYI - I got charityfundraiser mixed up with s5044726. Have PMed him. Wonder if he has an insider's perspective.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member

Scotland
    While I would like all the psychologising to be taken out of the treatment of ME and CFS, I don't have so much of a problem with
    this softer approach.

I believe that the clinics are staffed by people who just want to do their job and treat patients. They are following what they are told are the "facts" about CFS and have no particular agenda.

Actually asking people what their symptoms are and what they need, might lead to them learning what CFS truly is, at best and at worst, it won't do the damage that GET for all is causing.

The use of adaptive pacing and the quiet dropping of aggressive GET that is happening shows that it just wasn't working.

Mithriel

See more popular forum discussions.