The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Treatment for Rhodotorula

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Peyt, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Hi,
    I have recently done the Doctor's Data Test and it showed I have Rhodotorula (+1)
    My Doctor has prescribed Nystatin which I am taking (this is my 4th week). I am
    also on a anti-yeast diet for a month.
    Is there any articles written or studies that show successful treatment of Rhodotorula?
    Are there any additional course of treatment besides Nystatin?
    Thanks so much.
    Peyt

2. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Here is a recent review.

Please note Rhodotorula is a common environmental inhabitant (including in the human gut) which on rare occasions becomes an opportunistic pathogen. Problems arise in immunocompromised patients, most commonly cancer patients. The single most common factor in cases of infection is the presence of a central venous catheter.

Why does your doctor think you need treating? What are your symptoms?

The antibiotic of choice used in these studies was amphotericin B. Of interest though is that some patients at least didn't require any treatment at all. Removal of the catheter was sufficient.

Here is a study which looked at the susceptibility of the fungus to various antimicrobials. Nystatin was one found to be effective.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  3. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Hi Alicec,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have several symptoms such as:
    Bloating and Gas
    Brain Fog
    Headaches at least twice a week
    heavy feeling in the body, especially feet
    Tight and painful shoulder and neck
    agitation and anxiety
    Skin rash (although much less now ever since I started the anti-yeast diet)
    Get sick easily especially sinus infections

This Doctor has already treated me for SIBO with Antibiotics which thankfully my body responded well and after re-testing showed the SIBO was gone.. But since I still have problems we did the Dr. Data test which showed Rhodotorula.

The interesting thing is the headaches go away when I use blood dilating supplements such as Arginine so some
    Chinese Herbs that improve blood circulation.
    I also did the HB IAC to see if I am pre-diabetic (since the headaches and heavy feet feelings could mean there is not enough blood reaching to the body's extremities) but I was not pre-diabetic.. Although I took the test 1 month after starting the Anti-yeast diet which is basically Paleo plus no dairy or sweets which could have helped improve the results... But my Doctor does not think the headaches are the result of Diabetic issues.

4. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Btw, the specific Rhodotorula that was found in the test was R. mucilaginosa

5. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Have any of the symptoms responded to the month of Nystatin? How long does your doctor want you to take the drug? I would have thought 1 month was more than enough time to have an effect.

6. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

I don't think so,
    Everywhere I read it says 4 months of Nystatin. Luckily I have not had any severe adverse side effects, but I am not even up to the therapeutic dose yet. The therapeutic dose for me is 4 to 6 pills a day and My Doctor started me out at 1 pill a day and every week add 1 more (so we are doing it slowly).. So next week I will start the 4 pills which is suppose to be my therapeutic dose according to the level of infection showing on my test.

I am actually experiencing a little more bloating and my body feels achy. but as the bacteria dies there is a die-off reaction which is to be expected.

7. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Can you give a link to this info?

8. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Here is a link I just googled: http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Nystatin_-_how_to_take_it
    On the duration it says:
    Most patients need to remain on full dosage (2½ teaspoons of powder or 10 capsules per day) for two to four months, although clinical improvement is usually seen by the time the patient has been on this dosage for a week or two

See more popular forum discussions.