1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Lipkin Microbiome Crowdfunding Campaign Launches!
An ambitious $1.27m international, patient-led fundraising campaign storms into action. Sasha invites you to join it!
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Treatment for CBS/Sulfur issues?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by chilove, May 4, 2014.

1. chilove

chilove Senior Member

Hey all,

I have a limited diet already and some of my favorite foods have a lot of sulfur. I would LOVE to be able to eat more of them. What is recommended for treating CBS & sulfur issues?

Thanks so much!

Audrey
  2. Star-Anise

Star-Anise Senior Member

Hey girl, interesting story, I'm doing a nutritional balancing protocol with Theresa Vernon based on Dr. Wilson's protocol & I've been able to reintroduce some sulphur foods. I can't have a lot everyday, but I've been able to enjoy some stuff with onions in it, and some chocolate without any problems, whereas it would have previously caused me insta-agitation or fatigue. Probably the last thing anyone needs is a new supplement program, and I wouldn't recommend starting here for anyone that is really, really ill, but for those that are still struggling with fatigue but have regained some functionality through other protocols, this might be the final piece of the puzzle. It seems to be really helping me. She said that she has worked with people that have sulphur issues & all of their issues get resolved through the program.
    If you want to find her, she's an easy google find.. S:)
  3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @chilove I'm sulfur intolerant, have no high thiol foods in my diet, although I'm successfully using chlorella. I'm using a number of things to balance my body's ammonia-producing tendencies. I started w/ yucca, but the tincture tastes awful and I didn't want the starch form. I take butyrate (Nutricology) w/ meals, also ornithine, arginine, citrulline. All have been helpful for me. I found when doing coffee enema detox I felt really bad afterwards. When I started adding these things to final rinse, no more toxic feeling. Clearly ammonia was being released in the process. I've also been using Yasko's CBS formula. I've been able to decrease the dosage during the year I've been using this, as methylation increases and detox continues. Best to you, ahmo
  4. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This link discusses up regulation of CBS, it may not be a good thing to do if you have down regulation of CBS. Those who have down regulation have elevated homocysteine.
  6. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Thanks Alex, just found many are doubting Yasko's theory as well. This is a recent discussion I found very interesting and relevant.

http://mthfr.net/forums/topic/cbs-a360a-conflicting-info-re-b6/
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Yes @Martial, there is lots of conflicting research out there including published papers. The point though is that you would expect to see two groups of abnormal snps, one with snps decreasing enzyme activity, and one with snps increasing enzyme activity, and unless there is strong evolutionary selection at work you would expect to see low function more often than high function, as most mutations decrease functioning of a protein.

If CBS is over-active then homocysteine would be used up, unless there is a second factor such as very poor MTHFR activity which is driving homocysteine accumulation. However even if MTHFR is not working right, you would expect that increasing CBS activity further would result in two things - more glutathione, and lower homocysteine. However it would then pay to monitor ammonia, and probably other consequences.

Homocysteine can form a product that replaces lysine in proteins, destroying their function. It can lead to increased blood coagulation. It often leads to premature death from aggressive vascular disease. One thing I find interesting, and this is completely speculative at this point, is that this may have an impact on herpes viruses.

Let me make one additional comment on herpes viruses - if they incorporate defective lysine then they may have an altered function. It is too hard to say what impact this would have, but it might lead to latent viruses.
    Christopher likes this.
  8. chilove

chilove Senior Member

Thanks so much everyone! Looks like yucca and molybedum are the best possible options. Maybe I should get some guidance though.. all this seems so complicated and overwhelming.

Thanks!
  9. musicchick581

musicchick581 Senior Member

Don't you want low homocysteine? So CBS mutation is good then?
  10. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    this will protect from heart disease but is potentially bad for the body to regulate and remove ammonia from the system which is one of the problems.
  11. musicchick581

musicchick581 Senior Member

oh ok. Thank you. I just did the OAT and Amino acid test so they test ammonia. It will be interesting to see what it is.
  12. bootsydan

bootsydan

@alex3619
    I have high homocysteine and strongly positive hyrdrogen sulfide, but normal ammonia and b12.

Does this sound to you like down regulated CBS - and if so, do you know what may be of benefit for it?

You mention the possibility of Lysine being used incorrectly, which I have read elsewhere as well. Does this mean that supplementing Lysine would be of benefit, or only make matters worse? Or will it just be destroyed by the high homocysteine, therefore having no effect?

See more popular forum discussions.