Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Treatment at OMI

Discussion in 'ME/CFS Doctors' started by Ninan, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Does anyone her know (or know where to find information about) how the OMI institute treats severe (the most severe) cases of ME?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, at the Open Medicine Institute you have people like Dr Kogelnik who treats patients. At the Open Medicine Foundation they research into neuro-immune diseases, with particular current focus on ME/CFS.

You'd think knowing that ME/CFS patients suffer from brain fog, they would not choose such confusingly similar names!

Sidney, Ninan, Mary and 3 others like this.
  3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @funkyqueen was given rituximab at OMI - I think it helped her initially and then stopped helping. (http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/my-rituximab-experience-for-me.38239/)

Actually, I think what happened was she unable to continue treatment where she lives, the above thread is rather long and goes into more detail.

@Gingergrrl also has been to OMI. She is very ill, though she may not have ME/CFS. I believe she's currently taking a break from the board but hopefully will return and you could ask her about her experience.

I'd consider myself medium sick - not bedridden, and not extreme POTS or OI, but my life is seriously disrupted - I can't work and am quite limited in my daily activities. I went to OMI, they did a lot of testing but were unable to help me.

So I think it's a mixed bag, depending on your symptoms, etc.

Sidney, Hanna, taniaaust1 and 2 others like this.
  4. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I had rtx at OMI. Remission was brief.

CFS/ME has no cure, and very limited treatments. Still.

Hanna, Mary and Ninan like this.
  5. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Thanks @Mary and @IreneF

Did you get to continue rituximab, IreneF? Still stopped working?

See more popular forum discussions.