1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Treating the Thyroid

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Vanguard, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I'm having that dilemma right now and I actually started a thread about what to do:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...r-supplements-or-nothing-save-my-money.23390/
    Ok, it seems that you did tell me about phenylalanine. So is it different than L-phenylalanine? In the description it says a small portion will be converted into L-phenylalanine which I guess is ok. My concern is that it could lead to high norepinephrine since it's a tyrosine precursor, but maybe the D-form won't cause those problems. One customer review said they didn't feel wired from it like L-phenylalanine so maybe it will be ok.
    There's a sale on iron bisglycinate at Vitacost so maybe I'll take that and the milk thistle. Somehow I remember reading milk thistle can also raise glutathione.
    If that is what's going on with me will lactoferrin modulate that response?
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I've had problems with a clinically low Thyroid. It took me ages to get diagnosed, due to having a negligent doctor, and during that time I found a few things that raised my thyroid levels...
    The easiest and gentlest is sea salt: Put sea salts in your bath, and soak. It gently raises thyroid levels.
    Also, if you currently use table salt for anything, then you can replace it with sea salt.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member

Hi Bob,

What do you mean it raises thyroid levels? Do you mean your t3?
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK

I'm very sensitive to rising and falling Thyroid levels.
    Since diagnosis, I have always known if my thyroid levels are high or low, and have adjusted my medication accordingly.
    I very quickly found the right level of medication that I needed (without having to wait for further testing) because of this sensitivity.
    Sea salt didn't resolve my clinically low thyroid levels, but it does raise my thyroid levels.
    I know this because of my sensitivity to my thyroid levels.
    I can't use sea salt now that I take thyroid medicine, because it increases my thyroid levels which isn't helpful now that they are balanced with thyroxine medication.

(In the UK, we don't get extensive testing. We only get basic thyroid tests. All i know is that my thyroid levels are within range, and that I don't experience thyroid-related health problems any longer.)

There were a couple of supplements that helped me feel more well when my thyroid levels were clinically low, but I can only find one of them online. It was Neway's Maximol Classic (liquid vits), which happens to have sea salt and iodine in it:
    http://www.purenewyou.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=224

(It's a very expensive product, and it would be cheaper and perhaps just as helpful simply to use sea salts.)
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    D and L refer to the "handedness" of the molecule. So they are the same like your right and left hand are the same in that they are mirror images of one another. But because they are not identical, they can have different properties. Most molecules come as a mixture of D and L forms. Sometimes they are split out though (drug companies love to do this; they release a "dirty" mixture of D and L forms and then a clean form of only the active form later on to get two patents instead of just one).

I find that DPA potentiates endorphins and helps to relieve chronic pain. I haven't found it to be stimulating at all.

It's worth buying the 25 or 27 mg iron bisglycinate if you are going to be taking 100-150 mg of iron. Otherwise, you end up taking a ton of capsules which can get pretty expensive. I buy almost all my supps from Amazon these days as I find they usually have the best prices.

Yes, lactoferrin is meant to "protect" the iron from pathogens. It should definitely help.

I really think that there is a core group of testing that is really worthwhile for most everyone with ME/CFS. Some people may have slightly different lists or shorter lists but my list generally breaks down into general health testing, hormone testing, pathogen testing and methylation testing. I really don't think that any of these categories should be ignored at the beginning because there are things that can be done to improve symptoms from all of these categories should problems be found to exist. It also helps to put together a better picture of what particular issues are a problem for individuals. I have a more detailed testing list that I'm happy to send you if you like.

Ema
    Lotus97 likes this.
  6. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Lotus97

Hi Lotus;
    I would agree with you and Ema, that the iron deficiency may be causing alot of the symptoms. I see you included a good link with symptoms, so I thought I'd just stop by and cheer you on. Cheers!
    Lotus97 likes this.
  7. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

thyroid resistance...the mother of chronic fatigue. Hello 50-75mcg+ dosed T3 monotherapy.
  8. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I found this information from a customer review of NOW Foods Stinging Nettle Root Extract (different than the leaf extract of stinging nettle). Any thoughts?
  9. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Do you have high SHBG?

It might work. It's supposed to. The guys on the bodybuilding forums write about it from time to time so you might check that out.

Ema
  10. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I haven't had any of my hormones tested (not even sure what SHBG is). I wasn't sure if this would be a good idea or not which is why I posted it here. So that's not a common issue?
  11. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

SHBG can be lowered with a drug called stanozolol 25-50mg once per week for 12 weeks of treatment. Then your SHBG will be very low for 6 months at a time.

High SHBG=High Xenoestrogen binding and Low Free Sex Hormone Availability
    Lotus97 likes this.
  12. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    SHBG is a transport protein called sex hormone binding globulin. The active hormones are free and unbound to carrier proteins. So if you have high levels of transport proteins, most of your hormones are likely bound and not active.

SHBG can be increased by thyroid hormone so this occasionally comes up.

Ema
    Lotus97 likes this.
  13. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I found this list:
    https://sites.google.com/site/cfstestingandtreatmentroadmap/
    I'm not sure when I'll get around to being tested, but is this what you were thinking of?
    Adlyfrost likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.