• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): The IACFS/ME Conference Overviews Part V

AndyPR

Old Bones

Thanks for posting, @AndyPR . I particularly appreciated the Canadian connection.

"Working out of the Univ. of British Columbia Complete Chronic Disease Study, Patrick used microarrays to interrogate between 125 and 130K peptides in Rituximab responders and non-responders from Norway, including in ME/CFS and healthy controls. Two hundred peptides differentiated responders from non-responders 92% of the time.

Those stats looked good but Patrick said the test was not nearly ready for prime time. Much bigger studies are needed. One would think that if Patrick can get the money, he should be able to get the samples he needs when the Fluge/Mella’s study wraps up in October of this year.

If the signature is accurate – and it will surely be improved by future studies (If they occur) – it suggests that about 40% of Canadian ME/CFS patients would benefit from Rituximab."

This might be an excellent study for the CIHR to fund. I'm not holding my breath! Because, according to a Health Canada website ( http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/drugs/ced/pdf/rituximab.pdf ) in the context of Rituximab to treat rheumatoid arthritis, the drug is expensive:

"◆ Rituximab (Rituxan) costs approximately $10,000 per treatment course, . . ."

I have no idea how many treatment courses would be required for ME patients, based on the following:

"After finding that the effects waned over time, Fluge and Mella kept the ME/CFS patients on the drug and found that 2/3rd’s continued to have a sustained response."

Perhaps Health Minister Philpott is reluctant to acknowledge the biological (as opposed to psychological) nature of ME because she knows the health care system doesn't want/can't afford to treat us.

Perhaps this news is a reason for me to wish that my inexpensive first-line RA medication stops working. Just kidding . . .