Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Transulfuration enzymes, diabetes, role of H2S as a neuroprotectant, against ER stress

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Gondwanaland, May 5, 2017.

1. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I would appreciate if someone could summarize in one short paragraph how all the above intersect with real life :D
    What comes to my mind is "the liver comes first, not the gut!"

Attached Files:

Lolinda and juniemarie like this.
  2. juniemarie

juniemarie Senior Member

Albuquerque
    I hope one of the PR brains will take on the task I too would find the info valuable.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  3. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    We tend to think of H2S only as a problem. Certainly too much of it is toxic, but as these reviews and studies point out, it also has beneficial effects, playing an important role as a signalling molecule. Thus it is a gasotransmitter like nitric oxide and carbon dioxide.

Like these molecules, too little is just as problematic as too much.

Beneficial roles include neuroprotection, regulation of glucose and lipid homeostasis, cryoprotective and vasodilatory effects on blood vessels and an anti-inflammatory action.

The papers also describe biosynthetic (transsulfuration and its off-shoots) and catabolic (mitochondrial oxidation, non-enzymatic reactions with non-mitochondrial haem proteins as well as direct reaction with oxygen) pathways and emphasise that it is the balance of these that govern H2S levels.

The redox state of the cell is critical to both the synthetic and catabolic pathways and this is the clue to the intersection with real life. The degree of oxidative stress in the body will profoundly influence steady state levels of H2S. Furthermore, oxygen tension strongly influences its biological actions (eg under normal oxygen tension it is vasodilatory but under hyperoxia it is vasoconstrictive) so circulation efficiency and rate of oxygen use by tissues will also have an influence.

Gondwanaland and Valentijn like this.
  4. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Thank you so much @alicec for your input. I am really cuurious about how methylation supplements affect these interactions. Positively I assume?

See more popular forum discussions.