1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Transmission from mice to cats to me

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by mikipe2, Oct 14, 2009.

?

Did you have a cat (or contact with a cat) around the time you first got sick?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Unsure

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. fairlight

fairlight

I remember the term

rheumatism from my grandmother.

2. Martlet

Martlet Senior Member

Near St Louis, MO
    39% of US households owned at least one dog in 2008. 34% owned at least one cat.

Then there is this article from the UK:

http://www.anthrozoology.org/pet_ownership_and_childrens_immune_function

3. fairlight

fairlight

Martlet-I think the reasons for this

has to do with children who are exposed to pets while growing up have less allergies and/or allergies to pets. I think this may be comparing apples to oranges. Just my (humble) opinion. :)

4. Martlet

Martlet Senior Member

Near St Louis, MO
    I think it is looking at the immune system rather than allergies. The final line says "It appears that the presence of pets in the home has some regulatory or stabilizing influence on the immune functioning of children." It is saying that the children with pets in the home are healthier.

5. Alice Band

Alice Band PWME - ME by Ramsay

UK
    I was a very healthy child and teenager. It was not until ME struck when I was 21ish that I became ill. We always had cats in our house. All my siblings were very healthy children.

The study doesn't say what happened after they were 11

6. Martlet

Martlet Senior Member

Near St Louis, MO
    There have been numerous studies about the beneficial effect of owning pets on adult health.

I was a healthy child and teen, a few colds as a young mother when my kids were at school, plus one surgery. I had pets all my life. Then at the age of 42, on a month-long vacation and between pets, I caught the "flu" and the rest is history.

I'm not saying it's impossible to catch anything from our pets, but given the large percentage of pet owners in the West, you could pretty much blame any illness on domestic animals. As for M.E., for many people I've known with it (I used to run a support group in the UK) their pets have been a lifeline. I would hate to think that people might be misled into giving up what can be a source of immense comfort because they think their pets have made them sick.

7. Alice Band

Alice Band PWME - ME by Ramsay

UK
    CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (CFS) IN CATS: SYMPTOMS, DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT

OF 7 CASES.

Published by

REVUE DE MEDECINE VETERINAIRE 2001, 152: 11.

Author: Walter Tarello DVM

C.P. 1644,

06129 PERUGIA 5
    SUMMARY

A diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) was made on 7 cats, according to the current

human criteria for this condition. Persistent fatigue and related symptoms lasting more than 6 months

were associated with upper respiratory tract dysfunctions, chronic shedding hairs and, in some cases,

anaemia. Observation of micrococci-like organisms in the blood and high creatine kinase levels at

rest were hallmarks apparently supporting the physical nature of this illness. All animals had relapsed

after extensive prior treatment with current medications and were consequently submitted to a 3-4 day

course of Potassium arsenite 0.5% (Fowler's solution) in low dosage (0.1 ml/kg/day), intramuscularly.

No side effects were ever noted. Controls made between 15 and 30 days after the arsenical treatment

confirmed a complete clinical and haematological remission from the syndrome. Considerations were

made on the nature of the micrococci-like organisms seen in the blood and their possible role in the

aetiology of feline syndrome. The biological and therapeutic actions of arsenical drugs are also

reviewed.

ITALY

8. MEG

MEG Senior Member

Asheville, NC
    Blood Supply

Sorry about the cats,(interesting) but I wanted to take a moment to pick up on Kelly's concern for our blood supply.

We know that XMRV is a bloodborne pathogen. That means it is found/carried in the blood...

HIV is a bloodborne pathogen....it is found in the blood. It is transmitted through blood transfusions. (and other ways)

I wrote an email to the Red Cross trying to stir the pot, asking them what they would be doing to protect our nation's blood supply in light of the new XMRV research.

In a reply, I was told that the XMRV data was interesting, and that the Red Cross would be following suggestions from the CDC!!!!!

Chuckle for the day!!!!!

9. hvs

hvs Senior Member

This study uses the CDC's definition and has no controls.

10. Martlet

Martlet Senior Member

Near St Louis, MO
    Exactly!

As for the Pergugia study, I think it was looking at a purely feline disease.

Logically, if people were "catching" cfs from sick cats and dogs, wouldn't we expect to see more cfs in veterinary surgeons and staff? After all, we have seen outbreaks in hospital nursing staff.

See more popular forum discussions.