• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tramadol vs LDN, and long-term side effects of Tramadol

ebethc

Hi

I've tried both Tramadol & LDN, I liked both for pain relief but had a much better tolerance of Tramadol. However, I'm concerned about long-term problems of Tramadol. I've read a little bit on the PR (some adrenal problems, but not sure if this is a widespread problem). If you've used it for a long period of time, can you share pros & cons?

I didn't tolerate LDN very well, but I was eating dairy & gluten at the time, which can interfere with tolerance. In hindsight, I don't think I gave it a fair shot. Does anyone have any info on comparison between the two? Which one is a better long-term solution? Does LDN really improve/bolster your immune system, or just relieve the pain?

thank you

deleder2k

I really don't think you should use both at the same time. LDN won't get you addicted, while opiates like Tramadol (morphine) could. LDN didn't work for me, so now I use Tramadol from time to time.

ebethc

@deleder2k - I don't use both. The question is pros & cons of LDN VERSUS Tramadol
I've used LDN in the past, and I'm currently using Tramadol. I'm wondering if I should go back to LDN now that I'm not eating Gluten & Dairy... I'm also wondering about the long term affects of both of these drugs (NOT both at the same time)...

thanks

deleder2k

I think there are no long term effects of LDN. Start slow with a low dose if you experience side effects. As I said opiates like Tramadol can get you addicted in the long run. You will also probably experience some tolerance towards morphine.
It is like comparing apple and oranges - but if you are able to get the necessary pain relief from LDN you should stick to that.

Last edited:
LDN is definitely the better option long term in my opinion. and yes, some studies showed LDN increased CD4 t cells in those with HIV so yes it can increase immunity