Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tramadol Questions...

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by ebethc, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

Does tramadol cause the digestive problems that NSAID's cause?

Does tramadol have any anti-inflammatory effect, or is it solely pain relief?

thanks.

oceiv likes this.
  2. rosamary

rosamary Senior Member

When I use it I find that it makes me constipated! So it is not like a NSAD.

It is a narcotic-like pain reliever.

Some people like them because it can make you woozy.

They can be addictive.

You should read the do's and don't s on the information leaflet.

You should not drink alcohol if you take them.

oceiv and ebethc like this.
  3. rosamary

rosamary Senior Member

It is not anti inflammatory.

oceiv and ebethc like this.
  4. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I don't take it every day, but pain is bad today. thanks.

oceiv likes this.
  5. GhostGum

GhostGum Senior Member

Vic, AU
    There is a little know interaction between Sam-e and tramadol if I recall, for anyone who may be doing methylation supplements and using tramadol, risks serotonin syndrome. I loved tramadol, on and off for years in small doses, but I think it left me more prone to twitches in my sleep (mild seizures?) and cognitive decline; would keep an eye on the latter especially.

ebethc and oceiv like this.
  6. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

Cognitive decline! yikes! Does frequent serotonin syndrome cause cognitive decline? what's the cause?

oceiv likes this.
  7. GhostGum

GhostGum Senior Member

Vic, AU
    I really can not say, but tramadol is know to reduce seizure threshold, who knows what the mechanism is or if it is related. Just after several years of using it, it became more and more obvious that after daily use my memory and ability to recall information became horrendous. Tramadol is a unique opiate I believe, not the same as most standard ones, seems to have some odd sides and activity.

I do not want to put anyone off from using it, I found it incredibly important and helpful for sometime, you just need to keep an eye on it, same with any pain meds I imagine.

On the serotonin syndrome, you just need to be careful of any supplements or meds that will also activate serotonin I guess.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    oceiv likes this.
  8. Andielyn

Andielyn Senior Member

I believe it is Tylenol-based so it won't have the digestive problems of NSAIDs, nor the anti-inflammatory properties.

9. GONZ0hunter

GONZ0hunter

Fragelle rock, USA
    Tramadol made my central apnea a lot worse. They also made my seizures a lot worse. Ymmv

See more popular forum discussions.