1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Training videos for English GP's on how to deal with CFS patients

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Posted on Co-Cure by Jean Harrison:
    All the videos:

PART 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goz_tTaWmfE
    PART 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO7ua4IB5Hs
    PART 3:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYQpFtl2xe8
    PART 4:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5qalCDEOis
    by Frank
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Here's an extract:
    =============
    They don't have evidence at all that doing such activity when feeling unwell is safe.
    peggy-sue and Simon like this.
  3. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    I could only bring myself to watch 10 seconds of the first video. I get the idea. This is outrageous. I sure wish we had a forceful support group that could help us fight this utter nonsense. Wouldn't that be nice?
    Allyson likes this.
  4. Jerry S

Jerry S Senior Member

Chicago
    This is the kind of physician "education" we don't need. Total pernicious rubbish!

Same here, tee. Thanks, Tom.
    Allyson likes this.
  5. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    They advise ME patients not to go on so many benders at the pub.

Thanks TomK!!
    This is a very important video and I'm glad it's up on the web again (after luminescentfeelings shut his youtube)

That is a great excerpt. They still sell this and it shows they are now as always true evil clowns. Chalder, Tyree and their publisher make money off this as it is sold for a lot of money to GP's for their education.

Tyree says: "they're trying to tell us it's physical and we're trying to tell them it's psychological." And Chalder agrees and says to just avoid the whole topic if a patient brings it up.

In pacing they counsel ME patients who are working overtime to stop going on benders at the pub several times a week! They know how disabled and intolerant of alcohol we are and yet they do this to give the GPs the impression that we're not sick or 'the undeserving sick.' There is much more especially in the last half of the second video where they sum up all the lies.
    Allyson likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Good points, Justin.

Here is a study from the Netherlands which shows alcohol abuse isn't a problem with people with CFS:

peggy-sue likes this.
  7. jace

jace Off the fence

England
    According to this misinformation video, there is no underlying nerve damage in CFS. The doctors all carefully avoid the term ME.

Apparently 75% of diagnosed CFS patients fulfil criterea for depression and anxiety, and GET is the answer! There is no mention of any symptoms apart from fatigue and muscle soreness, which in a way is a blessing, because if we present to a GP who has seen this video, with our dizzyness, food intolerance, headaches, sweats and chills, etc, etc., they may look elsewhere than smug Tracy Chalder's treatment regime.

They say our problem is inconsistency!! These people are putting the cart before the horse. We get ill because we restrict activitles or we restrict activities because we are ill? I have kept my sleep pattern nocturnal, and I'm shattered all the time anyway. How simplistic is this video's view.
    Alcohol is a stimulant? Really? Keeps you awake?? I don't think so. Many of us are intolerant to it anyway.

70% get better over 2 - 48 months. Yeah right. It is really important to contain the approach, restrict referals, discourage patients from researching on the internet. Is that so you can build you empire, Ms. Chalder?
    Allyson likes this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

These videos are a bit old but somebody posted this elsewhere to show they're still being used:

Also at :

9. rebecca1995

rebecca1995 Apple, anyone?

Northeastern US
    Call for Action by CAA

I can't watch this crap. It makes me nauseous.

teej, that's an excellent idea. I propose that the CFIDS Association of America immediately address these videos, even though they're a British import, because the issues they raise are highly relevant to American PWME.

Ms. McCleary or Dr. Vernon should write an op-ed piece for a major newspaper on May 12, CFIDS Awareness Day. The theme? Psychiatry's abuse of PWME.

The essay would have three sections:

1. Begin with appalling quotes from these videos. Denounce and debunk them with science.
    2. Think this can't happen in the US? Segue into a discussion and denunciation of "Complex Somatic Symptom Disorder", the proposed category for the DSM-V that overlaps ME/CFS definitions.
    3. What will happen if this psychiatric category is actualized? More situations like that of the North Carolina boy who was removed from his parents' home by the Department of Social Services. Provide history of this case; condemn responsible psychiatrists.

Publishing such an op-ed essay would accomplish several things for the CAA. It would shine a bright light on the role psychiatrists have played in not only thwarting scientific research, but actively abusing PWME. It would prove that the CAA is willing to take on as much of a leadership role as the WPI, which is planning a statement on the DSM-V. And it would be a show of good faith to those of us who feel disenfranchised by the prominent place Bill Reeves and the Reeves Criteria have in the Association's current literature.

If neither Ms. McCleary or Dr. Vernon feels she can take on this task, a professional ghostwriter could write the op-ed in under three hours.

Do it now, CAA.
    lnester7, peggy-sue and Allyson like this.
  10. Koan

Koan Be the change.

I've seen these.

Crazy.

Not us.
    Allyson likes this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Transcript - part 1

Somebody posted this transcript on a list I was on a few years back. I thought some members might find it of interest.

--------------------------------------------------------

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Transcript - part 2

Transcript - part 2
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Transcript - part 3

Transcript - part 3

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Transcript - part 4

Transcript - part 4

15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Transcript - part 5

Transcript - part 5

16. pollycbr125

pollycbr125 Senior Member

yorkshire
    ive just posted these videos to my facebook page . im sorry but these actors pretending to be patients bare no resemblance to the illness and problems to which i am suffering if this is how my doctor percieves my illness no wonder i am getting no support or treatment . it really is a joke . to my worldwide friends i hope for your sakes your countries do not follow suit cause if they do it is god help you .No mention of pain or nuero problems grrr if 'tiredness' as they put it was my only problem id be laughing . talk about trivialising an illness they really havent got a clue !
    peggy-sue likes this.
  17. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

The problem is they know full well what they are doing................
  18. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Oh heck yeah they do!
  19. Robin

Robin Guest

I didn't know I could negotiate a diagnosis! Damn! I could have picked something treatable!

Actually, I blame my doctor. Here's how my diagnosis went:

Doctor: I think you have chronic fatigue syndrome.

Me: What's that?

Doctor: Well, some people are just tired all the time. But, it has to last for at least six months.

Me: Oh. Well, I'm sure I'll be fine by then. I don't have that.

Later at home...

Me: (looking up CFS) NO! NO! NO! NO! DO NOT WANT!

(end)
  20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

:D

Yes, people should request that facility (swapping ME/CFS for another diagnosis) for the next round of healthcare reform. :Retro wink:

See more popular forum discussions.