• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Training Day with Gill, Alter and Lo at the NIH," at CFS Central

Dog day afternoon at the NIH as Dr. Fred Gill, who hails from the psychoneurotic school of CFS, questions whether CFS is even a disease. Hes pitted against Dr. Harvey Alter and Dr. Shyh-Ching Lo, who believe in science.

CFS Central
http://www.cfscentral.com

Riley

I would like to punch this Gill character in the face.

Thanks for the report.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Oh dear lord. When will the last of the Strauss-ites be put out to pasture and let the new crop of researchers have the field?

Do NOT read that blog post unless you are feeling like you have a nice strong stomach today. It made me really want to puke. The good news is that Alter and Lo are still in there fighting the good fight (but they are carefully making no statements beyond what we already know.) The bad news is that this Gill character's statements will infuriate you beyond all reasonable bounds.

akrasia

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, there you have it

Gill concluded his presentation by recommending the CDC's CFS website as well as that of the CFIDS Association of America (CAA). Gill said that he has a high regard for the CAA because he agrees with their views.* So now its abundantly clear the kind of scientists whose thinking dovetails with the CAAs.*

Sherby

Sherby
Hi , I'm having problems accessing cfscentral ,PCs don't you love em.
I would be grateful if some one could cut and paste for me. Thanks in advance

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Here's a print-to-PDF (let me see if the attachment works)

Warning: contents may cause nausea and rage.

Attachments

• CFS Central_ Training Day.pdf
    222.9 KB · Views: 32

Sherby

Sherby
Thanks for trying, but i still cannot read anything below the section
Gill: worse than expected.
Your time was well appreciated though .

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
It's embarrasing that $150,000 of the American citizens hard earned tax dollars is being given to Dr. Gill every year. My cost cutting suggestion is to fire him and divide his salary up towards various CFS\ME research. Thats more than the NIH gives us now!

*GG*

It's embarrasing that $150,000 of the American citizens hard earned tax dollars is being given to Dr. Gill every year. My cost cutting suggestion is to fire him and divide his salary up towards various CFS\ME research. Thats more than the NIH gives us now!

I 2nd this, I am sure many politicians might agree, time to tighten the belt!

GG

alex3619

Hi, a very enlightening quote made by Charlotte von Salis at the above line to CFS Central:

Gill asked Alter, “Is CFS a real disease—and if so, what’s its etiology?”

Alter replied cryptically, as if he were the wisest of fortune cookies: “The answer depends on the effort to find the cause.”

Bye, Alex

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
When talking about Lo's lecture the author states: "As to the negative studies, he pointed out that differences in methodology, assays, and sample preparation were among the contributing factors that could explain the disparate results. He noted that two CDC samples tested positive for MLVs using the FDA assay."

Does anyone know if these were the same samples that the CDC used in their negative XMRV studies where they stated no XMRV could be found in ANY of the samples?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I would like to punch this Gill character in the face.

Thanks for the report.

I luv replies like this, short and sharp, but as u punch him in the face u have to call him a wanker. lol.
CFS has made me become very empathetic towards others no matter their misfortune, but maybe its that animal in me i use to have on the sports field that comes back when i hear or faced with a buff head like this guy. I would only be good for 2 punches but gee u would make them count and then crash for a few days with a smile on your face and thinking, i accomplished something with that crash and i could lie in bed for a few days with a smile on my face, lol.

thanks for cheering me up Riley!!

cheers!!!

heapsreal

Now after reading it, yes he really does sound like a wanker that has no clue, i appologise for my language but it just perfectly fits his description. Gill must have looked like a big joke after Alter's talk. Now with a name like Gill, he is the guy off the simpsons cartoon who's a saleman who cant sell anything, wow!! i think it might be Gill of the simpson's cartoon.

Enid

And I thought we had the worst psychobabblers here in the UK - what's the expression "get real" Gill.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Don't feel bad heapsreal, I didn't know the word wanker till I saw a british reality show on tv a couple of years ago.

heapsreal

Don't feel bad heapsreal, I didn't know the word wanker till I saw a british reality show on tv a couple of years ago.
So thats why it hasnt been picked up, its a common expression in australia thats used for these types of guys, lol. I should use more aussie slang then, lol.