• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TPH1 TPH2 anyone research as related to use of anti-depressants?

roxie60

Appears to be some research regarding these genes and effectiveness of various anti-depressants. Just wondering if anyone had already gone down this rabbit hole and found anything useful like finding SNPs/alleles that would make various antidepressants more or less effective. I am aware the CYP genes also play a role in effectiveness of anti-depressants.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044192/

roxie60

the reason I ask is years ago (late 1980's, early 1990's) I was put on Prozac to treat depression. It appeared to really make a difference (I called it my happy pill) but only lasted about 10 months and then I crashed, became serverly depressed, lethargic. I had been given a multitude of SSRIs for many years after but none had any affect or made things worse. I stopped taking SSRIs for last 10-13 years, did not see a reason to keep trying. Then in 2006 I was put on Cymbalta for depression/anxiety and pain even tho I reported not being depressed (an SNRI - affects serotonin and norepinephrine and the side affects of that one were frightening, became so ill and dysfunctional). To this day a Cymbalta commercial comes on tv and I have to change the channel, I use to yell and scream first but I have move past that reaction ;) to the commercials. Just always wondered what happened, Prozac was effective for short period of time, then crash (side effects almost as if I had stopped taking the drug even tho I was taking it since it had been helping), then not affective.

an SNRI, which means that it not only blocks serotonin reuptake but also norepinepherine(adrenaline).