1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Toxoplasma (mycoplasma) infection in rats confuses male rats into "becoming catfood"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Annikki, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Annikki

Annikki

I know with the scrutiny upon us, I should take more time to make the thread title sound more plausible; the problem is that this is actually true. :eek:

A study found that male rats which are infected with toxoplasma gondii (mycoplasma) find the scent of cat urine alluring- very alluring. Male rats have the same center of their brain lit up in response to cat urine which lights up in response to the presence of a female rat when infected with mycoplasma.

The interesting thing about this study in the ME/CFS community is that it shows toxoplasma gondii to have a direct effect on the brain. I'd love the particulars on how and why mycoplasma does this.

I thought I'd share this too. I'll state for the record that I think in no way does this information support the "amygdala retraining" camp.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110819141519.htm

2. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia
    If I am not mistaken the various Mycoplasma (mollicutes) are not the same as Toxoplasma gondii (protozoa).

3. Annikki

Annikki

Sorry, you are right- I'm incorrect. I read something else which I think was about both and got them confused. :(

See more popular forum discussions.