1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Toxic Fog

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Hell...Hath...No...Fury.., Mar 31, 2014.

1. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

Hell...Hath...No...Fury.. Senior Member

England
    We've had a thick fog here for the last few days (north england and scotland) and its just been announced tonight on the radio that it isn't fog at all.... Its fertiliser from France! And its toxic.

Its leaving a layer of dust on everything outside (though its also been announced that sand has travelled up here from the deserts in north africa too!)

Any normal people who have spent an hour or more in it have got ill with the runs so god knows how it would affect us.

They've said on the radio to keep all windows shut.

Just thought i'd give a shout out incase anyone in the area is thinking its just fog. I can't even see a meter out from the window its so thick. Gives me the chills looking at a wall of poison outside :nervous:

PS... It smells like something weird burning, i'm sleeping on the sofa tonight because my bedroom stinks :mad:
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    peggy-sue, Valentijn and Allyson like this.
  2. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    James Herbert wrote a superbly creepy story about a "fog" that was a terrible bioweapon....
    just saying! :p
  3. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

England
    Pmsl; i know it well i have all his books :) it was one of the first thoughts that passed through my brain fog too lol ;)
    peggy-sue and SilverbladeTE like this.
  4. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    yes i thought brain fog too - dyscognition it is now called - the French made public transport free in Paris for several days to try to improve conditions

Ally
  5. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

England
    The other thought was skeletal pirates rolling in through the fog to kill everyone :eek:

Then my thoughts subsided down to a plain 'damn that really stinks' as i lay here on my very uncomfortable sofa :mad:
    peggy-sue, Valentijn and Allyson like this.
  6. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

Have you got a link to a news article? I can't find anything about it online. I don't get outside, but my mum who commutes to Newcastle everyday says it doesn't smell weird at all. It's covering the whole North East as far as I can tell. If this were actually toxic surely there would be an uproar and, given the fact that it's covering a huge part of one of the most densely populated countries in the Western hemisphere, surely there would be more news about it.
  7. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    We had the dust covering everything here in wales - even thought it has been raining - everything is covered, we thought ti was Saharan dust as we have been having southern winds here and it has been quite warm.

Do you have a link for the radio programme you heard it on? I would also like to find out more about it.

Justy.
  8. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
  9. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

Oh it's April Fools! :p
  10. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

England
    The thought crossed my mind too, and it may well be as i can't find any info online either and i can't remember if it was announced after midnight, but it was on Alan Robson's nightowls radio show and people were replying about it etc.
    justy likes this.
  11. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

England
    I can't get any info online about a hoax either o_O though i do know it stank last night between 11pm and 3am when it was at its thickest and the building was enveloped in it and it has left a film of dust everywhere. Its also pretty much gone now today
  12. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

Maybe someone was burning something nearby?
  13. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

England
    The smell was unlike anything i've smelled before, i just used burning as i had no way of describing it.
  14. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

England
    My mam has just told me that its still thick in her village and its affecting my Dad's breathing. She says it has a smell similar to gas to her. I can't smell anything here now its dispersed.

Feel free to take the info with a pinch of salt, as there's no information so far either way.

But after smelling it last night, thought better safe than sorry for us lot
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  15. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26844425

peggy-sue and Valentijn like this.
  16. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    yes and the free public transport in Paris was before Aril 1st and was very real - a great idea for everywhere IMHO

ALy
    peggy-sue likes this.
  17. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

England
    The whole thing is very strange! It turned out that it was actually a hoax! They had everyone in the north fooled! Especially because of the smell and the dust; But then oddly within 1 day it was suddenly on the news about the similar smog all over the country! So the one i reported was a hoax, but now its real anyway lol.
  18. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    If that was a hoax, it was not a suitable or appropriate one.

It obviously DID cause a great deal of alarm in some sick folk - and just one person getting as upset and worried as HHNFdid means somebody should have to take responsibility and apologise at least.:mad:
    rosie26 and MeSci like this.
  19. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

England
    I totally agree
    MeSci likes this.
  20. Min

Min Senior Member

UK
    Hoax or not, it was like a 2 day fog of thick choking bonfire smoke when there were no bonfires near, and everything was covered in a layer of yellow brown dust. My asthmatic husband could hardly breathe.

See more popular forum discussions.