Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tourette Syndrome study eyes new treatment for misunderstood condition

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Aileen, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Interesting article linking Tourette's to histamine. That just keeps popping up doesn't it? Some select quotes from the article. Emphasis (bold print) mine. Read full article [here]

sillysocks84, NK17, natasa778 and 3 others like this.
  2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    This is SOOO Interesting. Since I discovered the significance of my MAO++ and histamine, I'm fascinated by histamine and it's ramifications.

I've been taking Dr. Theoharides Neuroprotek for mast cell release of histamines in the hipocampus. I felt the results within a few hours, was able to drop several of my supps straight away. I've discovered that when my mind's turned on at 3AM and I can't stop the chattering, one Neuroprotek shuts down the monkey mind within 15 minutes.

‘Brain Allergy’ and ASD - T. Theoharides, MD, PhD‬https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9QbZp3WcC1Q

Mastocytosis with Theoharis C. Theoharides, MS, PhD, MD, FAA‬http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CplxXGpFeKQ

Neuroprotek http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pNQsK9PQL3c

alex3619, sillysocks84, Wayne and 2 others like this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi @Aileen

I recently read a book by Dr. David Perlmutter, a neurologist who focuses on gut and brain health. In this book, he shared the experience of a 13-year boy whose Tourette's symptoms were getting worse. After talking to him and his mother, they decided to put 6 capsules of a probiotic into an enema retention solution. The mother called the next day and said her son's neurological system was more settled down than it had been in years. As I recall, most of his Tourette's symptoms dissipated in the following days and weeks.​

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    ahmo likes this.
  4. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    The research must be very exciting for those with TS. The research got off the ground in about 2010 I think with a researcher studying a family with 8 or so children with TS inherited from the father. There are some huge studies happening right now and hopefully this will help those who have the related genetic abnormalities.

As for Dr. David Perlmutter -- here is a not so glowing review of his work -- http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/06/problem-with-the-grain-brain-doctor.html#

PatJ likes this.
  5. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Is there anyone with Tourettes here? I have a severe tic disorder since childhood, though I'm not sure if it can be classified as Tourettes.

6. PatJ

PatJ Senior Member

Yukon, Canada
    Thank you for posting the link to that article. The summary is something to keep in mind:

7. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    Re the original study mentioned in the first post - somehow I missed this when it was posted, and so good to read about it now. My adult son has Tourette Syndrome, which started at the age of 6. He is now 36 and attends the National Hospital for Neurology once a year.
    Sadly he also now has schizophrenia, so the drugs he takes for that tend to calm the TS also, but they also make him sleep for hours and hours and he is unable to work. It seems there is also good research going on re schizophrenia, so it would be a blessing if he could get off those drugs and onto something more targeted.

PatJ and svetoslav80 like this.
  8. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    My update to this thread is that since beginning FMN form of Vit B2, I rarely need Neuroprotek. I wrote about me and FMN, link in signature.

9. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I read most of the article on David Perlmutter. Here's a notable sentence: "Perlmutter has always been unorthodox in his approach to medicine."

This in a nutshell is why Perlmutter will NEVER be accepted by mainstream conventional medicine. He doesn't subscribe to their drug oriented and profit motivated principles. Instead, he does extensive research on, and writes about using inexpensive foods, probiotics and other things to improve gut health. He feels this approach--instead of drugs--is what best supports neurological and brain health, immune system health, and more.

These are things that quite a few on this board have found to be quite helpful. I would say his approach compares quite favorably with how much help conventional medicine has offered our community. It seems the people on this board who've been helped most are those who have gone outside conventional medicine, and instead focused on what might actually work.

I've read extensively on Perlmutter and on the way he conducts himself in his thinking and in his profession. The article does not even remotely resemble what I've observed. In fact, I would call the article nothing more than a ridiculous hack job by a shill who seems to be mesmerized by the lies, greed, and corruption that is so rampant in corporate mainstream medicine.​

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    ahmo likes this.
  10. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi @svetoslav80,

Although I don't have Tourette's Syndrome, I had an aunt who did (a very sweet and humble woman). So I can greatly empathize with anyone (or their family) who does have it. When I read Perlmutter's account on how he suggested addressing gut flora issues to the mother of the child with Tourette's, I was most intrigued.

When I read that administering probiotics actually started working almost miraculously within 24 hours, it certainly got my attention. This gave me some insight into why he believes so many (if not most) neurological, brain, immune, and other maladies are profoundly affected by gut health. His chapter on autism is a must read for anybody whose lives have been profoundly affected by it.

BTW, I wonder how many mainstream doctors would have ever thought of administering probiotics to someone with Tourette's (or other neurological illnesses). Probably none, but I'm guessing most would be quick to label as a quack somebody who does, even though doing so actually often gets remarkable results.​

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    svetoslav80 likes this.
  11. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    If my son were a child, or willing to participate, then I would certainly try unorthodox approaches such as David Perlmutter's to help him, re both the Tourette Syndrome and the schizophrenia.
    Unfortunately as an adult he is not willing to try things diet and supplement wise. If I had my time over again then I would have tried dietary changes when he was little, but it was before the days of the internet, and before I began to research such things.

Wayne likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.