• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tough time finding my mFolate dose

bigmillz

Recently I've been playing with my mFolate dose - I've spent months at 6mg, and I wanted to give it another test to make sure it's the best for me.

I'm beginning to think it's not. I settled on it because I noticed that fingertip cracking and acne both seemed to subside at this dose. The angular cheilitis has been absent too, I've noticed.

I tried some time at 2mg/day - fingertip cracking returned, and per my log, I was actually way more energized, perhaps a little too much. Like I was getting a little moody and just generally "weird." Easily agitated, I guess. Was getting irritated by stupid little stuff (something I've done for years until more recently), like people leaving a napkin out, or a door not closing all the way. Yeah.

I also decided to go way higher - 15mg/day. The first day I was beyond fatigued and spaced out. I was also suffering from some pretty bad allergies (was around a friend's cat too). During this test, acne seemed VASTLY improved. A day later, the spaciness cleared up, but I was still pretty tired at times. But, I noticed that I was distinctly focused, friendlier, and less jumpy. It was a pleasant feeling. I've never felt this way before. I'm holding eye contact, not rushing conversations, and sitting still.

Trying to see if it was really the mFolate causing this, I dropped it completely for a few days. Not long enough to really notice much in terms of fingertips/acne, but my energy level went through the roof. Spinning in my desk chair, good friend/coworker laughing and telling me to slow down, and pretty euphoric too. It was like when I tried 2mg, but overpowering to the point it reminded me of why I used to drink to "unwind" (I don't drink these days). I meditate daily, and I was absolutely fighting to stay still the whole time.

The last day of my no-mFolate experiment (today), I was barely holding eye contact with people I was so jazzed up. I ended up deciding to take 15mg of mFolate at once to see what would happen. Hours later, here I am, calm, focused, writing this post, but eyeing up my couch for a little nap...

In conclusion, I'm guessing that if physical symptoms on my skin are manifesting at lower doses, then I should go up? Or is it not black/white, but rather a tradeoff of symptoms depending on the dose I choose?

P.S. I have tried taking potassium, no effect sadly!

TLDR: Feeling extremely calm, focused, and friendly at 15mg/day, yet having way more energy at 0-2mg/day - but at lower doses, starting to get irritable, and eventually get some physical (skin) symptoms. 6mg is somewhere in the middle, but subjects me to less energy and more irritability.

Last edited:
It seems pretty clear that you need the higher dose. You feel calm, focused, capable of writing, less jumpy, friendly, and merely eye your couch for a nap (yet, are not truly sleepy?).

The lower dose jazzed up feeling is not normal physical 'energy'. It sounds like you are experiencing cascades of neurological activity because some neural controller is missing, which then manifests as feelings of restlessness and irritability. Having to fight yourself to stay in your seat is not an indication of healthy energy.

bigmillz

It seems pretty clear that you need the higher dose. You feel calm, focused, capable of writing, less jumpy, friendly, and merely eye your couch for a nap (yet, are not truly sleepy?).

The lower dose jazzed up feeling is not normal physical 'energy'. It sounds like you are experiencing cascades of neurological activity because some neural controller is missing, which then manifests as feelings of restlessness and irritability. Having to fight yourself to stay in your seat is not an indication of healthy energy.

Good points. I wonder if it's like magnesium, where it took me some time to adapt to a higher dose. It wasn't an easy transition.

Of course, go figure, I wake up today (after taking 15mg yesterday) with a thick headache, extremely fatigued. So frustrating.

Adding onto this a little now that I've eaten, taken my supplements, and am generally feeling more awake. I feel much more collected today, but the lack of energy is still present. I did some work on my laptop without an issue, but the thought of working tonight (at a nightclub) seems very overwhelming right now, as exciting and fun as it is.

If 6mg is sapping my energy, but fixes the physical symptoms, maybe it's best to start lower at 2mg again, and work up a little at a time until the physical symptoms abate. As for the irritability and restlessness, maybe the sedation at higher doses is just covering up something else causing those symptoms. Like if you were feeling restless and took a 1st gen antihistamine, it's not really solving anything, just covering up the problem. I'm not quite sure, but in my past experiences, I've been prone to overshooting doses only to later realize I should've gone lower (going from 10mg mB12 to 5mg benefited me tremendously).

I'd really be curious to hear @Freddd 's opinion, if he's available :) I know he's very well versed in folate specifics and abnormalities during dosage trials.

Last edited:
Other's experiences and insight is invaluable. Where's the Folate bible? :thumbdown:

I think it good to at least aim for a dose that takes you above the issue of being unable to physically sit still -- until things settle.