• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Topic for the ladies -- endometrial hyperplasia and progestin

SOC

Well, it's not cancer, tg. :D The gyno is thinking about prescribing a progesterone replacement (probably Provera) to try to clear up my major endometrial hyperplasia. This sounds a lot better than dealing with anesthesia and surgery, but I'm wondering if anyone else with low progesterone has tried replacement and if it's had any effects on ME/CFS either positive or negative.

I know that birth control pills with progestin have caused some women with ME/CFS problems, but they probably had normal levels of progesterone, so adding more progesterone could be problematic. I'm wondering more about taking progestin when progesterone is low and the estrogen/progesterone balance is way out of whack.

TIA

Ema

Yay for not cancer!

If it were me, I would want to use either natural micronized progesterone (Prometrium) or a transdermal bioidentical progesterone cream rather than a progestin. Progestins can have nasty side effects in some women. I personally do not have any side effects from the bioidentical progesterone cream and it definitely helps my symptoms (mainly anxiety and muscle pains) to keep my levels at a luteal mid-range.

Some women do get excessive fatigue from oral Prometrium but other women like it because it can help with sleep at night. Oral progesterone produces a metabolite in the liver that has similar effects to a benzo (allopregnanolone). This effect is avoided with the creams because they don't pass through the liver. But some trial and error might be required to find the best fit for you.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/1015/p1839.html

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Does your doctor understand bio hrt? Compounded progesterone etc. I use them. Not sure why some doctors don't know about them.

Sparrow

I have no useful input. Just wanted to say I'm sorry you've been having to deal with this. :(

roxie60

I have never ben able to take any hormones including bio hrt. I had such strong reactions to extremely small amt of bio hrt at least we think that was it, this was awy before understanding ME/CFS.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
If a doctor knows how to test and give the right amount it is good. Hormones work together so I hope you can get good help.

SOC

Ema -- Thanks for the great information including the aafp article! Now I feel like I can discuss this reasonably intelligently with my gyno. :)

Sparrow -- Thanks for the sympathy. It has been an unpleasant month or so since my annual physical at the beginning of June. My labs "fell through the cracks" multiple times. Then my GP went on a 6 month break so I "fell through the cracks", according to doctor's group practice. The result being I ended up in the ER with a doctor who was not only incredibly rude to me, he was nasty to the friend who brought me in at some ungodly hour of the morning. :mad:

At least once they actually saw my condition, they got an immediate sonogram which then (finally) inspired them to get me a prompt appt with the gyno. Then (I kid you not) it took them 10 days to do a biopsy that was supposed to take a day or two. I think that one would have found a home in one of their cracks, too (sorry :redface:) if I hadn't kept nagging them about it once it was overdue. Sheesh! What is it we pay these people so much for, again?

PS: Why is it that when you go to the ER for "female problems", the receptionist, the nurse, the student nurse, the doctor, and the sonographer are all males? Is that some kind of natural law?

Sparrow

SOC - Ugh. You know, I used to have so much faith in the medical community... Not so much anymore. I'm really sorry you ended up in that situation, especially for such totally frustrating reasons.

I think the trick with ER visits for female problems is to get your husband a good case of penis rot at the same time. Then there's guaranteed to be at least some of each gender on staff.

SOC

SOC - Ugh. You know, I used to have so much faith in the medical community... Not so much anymore. I'm really sorry you ended up in that situation, especially for such totally frustrating reasons.

I think the trick with ER visits for female problems is to get your husband a good case of penis rot at the same time. Then there's guaranteed to be at least some of each gender on staff.

Yep, that would do it, lol! You always crack me up. :rofl: