1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Top scientists to meet at Cleveland Clinic on trial of XMRV

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Katie, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Other Members of Our Team

Given the unscientific, politic landscape for the upcoming research, one bright note--other than truth itself--would seem to be the financial interests of the drug companies. I think they are very interested in marketing expensive anti-retrovirals to people with XAND illnesses. The WPI has been selling them live virus samples to be tested against the drug companies existing stock of drugs, and for them to start developing new ones.

So while the mistaken and retrogressive views serve those who called it wrong before, including the psychiatric lobby and the insurance companies who'd stand to lose with disability obligations, the pecuniary interests of the drug companies move things in the opposite direction. It looks like Big Pharma's on our team! Add to that public reaction, the easily ramped up fears over contaminated blood supplies, another retrovirus like HIV, and heightened cancer prospects, it looks like we have some heavy hitters on our side too.

Cecelia
  2. Samuel

Samuel Bedbound with NO DOCTOR

Good point.

I do wonder about pharma, however. We have had antidepressants shoved down our throats for decades. They don't work and cause side effects, but doctors keep pushing them. There is also a similar situation with stimulants, and perhaps other types of drugs. Do we know that pharma played no role in the psychologization of these diseases? They would have perceived it to be in their interest.

They are welcome to join us on our terms.

But I want to know what role they played in the past, if any.
  3. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Thanks for posting that Wildaisy. Even news like this keeps the fires of hope burning for us. I liked how Silverman mentioned the interest in XMRV in the research community and how he shared that he wasn't sending off live virus.

4. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Thanks so much for this wildaisy. I've been so eager to hear anything about this! How exciting!

some tidbits:

islandfinn:)
  5. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    but I try to be cautious

Thanks, Wildaisy. This is a tantalizing bit of news.

6. MargeM

MargeM MargeM

See more popular forum discussions.