Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Top Brains Gather to Fight CFS in Australia - Focus on Neuroimmunology

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Cort, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Does anyone know what happened with this? These were neuroscientists and immunologists......a two day meeting. Looks like a great meeting. I haven't heard a thing....

Cost to Australian economy - 380 million (I'll bet it's quite a bit higher).

2. Cort

Found more info. Proceedings will be published.

Thank you to our sponsor - Office of Health and Medical Research [​IMG]

3. calzy

calzy Senior Member

Naples Florida
    Dr. Klimas went to this.

4. Tia

Tia Senior Member

Very interesting, can't wait to get more info on it.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, the $380 million cost would have to be direct costs only. Indirect costs including loss of productivity (e.g. earnings) could push it over two billion dollars in my view. I think their figure is ultra-conservative. Bye, Alex

6. Cort

I thought she might......

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    My back of the envelope estimates based on US/UK studies (not using the 1%+ incidence figures however) would suggest between 1.5-2 billion per year.
    I have heard that $380 million figure before, but I can't remember where. It might have been a Lloyd study.

I am interested to see the outcome of the conference too...

8. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Top brains now with so much research/findings in the US and the range of pathologies/viral infections. Science all over on the move.

9. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    from the aussie boards, here is who Tony said was to be there:

I don't see Klimas on the list but, like was said, she was supposed to be there, too

10. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    Great to see Warren Tate attending, I heard he was starting a study (XMRV?) in NZ but I have no details

11. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Dr Kerr will be there!

Not heard of Dr O'Donovan UK before.

Thrilled to see Dr Chaudhuri will be there. Is he involved in helping to set up the UK Brain/Tissue bank with the MEA's Dr Shepherd and others, I wonder? (Don't have all the details about this to hand currently, but will see what I can find out).

Great find Cort.

12. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Not a lot more details here - but (from The Listener)...
    "Next for Tate is a new venture tackling Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (also known as ME). He and his lab are adapting his anti-HIV work to target the recently discovered retrovirus XMRV, which is believed to be associated with the debilitating ME, which affects up to 1% of the New Zealand population but has no simple diagnostic test and has never been well understood."

Also he told me he'd designed a study "about XMRV and the "RNAseL fragment" claimed by Demierlier to be a marker for CFS that we are working on. "

As far as I know (hope anzmes will correct me if I have it wrong!) that's all go, and he's very keen to get started. :)

Best, Anne.

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

14. Navid

Navid Senior Member

not sure what's going on with kerr...prob blackballed by the uk conspiracy to cover up xmrv.....but i would not trust anything stoye said/says....he's really got it out for the demise of the xmrv theory and i don't think he really cares much if they ever find out why ppl have this disease.

from everything i've read and heard abt him he is an A-1 a--hole

15. Cort

Its such a shame....He and Mikovits are on the outs over the Groom XMRV study...They didn't find anything but she was helping them out and then didn't hear anything until the week before the study when Dr .Kerr told her they didn't find anything. She was quite upset that no one communicated with her about the findings until they were published - which seemed entirely understandable! My sense was Kerr was caught in the middle; she said she thought so too - he was probably told not to say anything - everyone seems to like him and in his studies he seemed to be collaborating with everyone he could; it just doesn't seem like his style not to communicate but it was quite painful for her. He was her chief collaborator on the NIH study........

What a great lineup, though, for that conference....Love to see Chaudhuri there and I didn;t know anything about the Brain Tissue bank in the UK.

16. SDP

SDP

Does anybody know why Mr Kerr 'lost his job'? Does he have a new position?

17. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    He is working in a small UK hospital last time I asked someone who knew him. We did have some correspondance before he left his last job. Very sad his contract was not renewed.

18. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

Interesting that Dr. Mikovitz isn't on that list? Nor is Dr. Singh or Dr. Ruscetti?

19. Tony

Tony Still working on it all..

Melbourne, Australia
    Dr Peterson was going to be there along with Dr Klimas and Prof De Meirleir. It would have been an excellent discussion place for the invited researchers and doctors. They devoted day one to lectures and day two for round table discussions. So lots of sharing to go on...and keeping in contact which is what the organisers are hoping for.

20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Understand what you are saying. But I would make the point that there is danger in relying too much on one or two main researchers. If we really want this to be properly investigated, then we need a bunch of different (competent) people looking at it. For me getting that to happen is one of the main aims. It gets the work done faster, and more comprehensively, and makes it harder to dismiss.

I am pleased Donald Staines is there, he has written some very interesting stuff.

See more popular forum discussions.