• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

top 3 brain fog interventions

ukxmrv

1. Sitting with my legs up as much as possible, as little exercise as possible
2. Quercetin
3. P-Serine (but only at night)

(painkilers like codeine, gluten free or other diets etc don't help me with this problem (just replying to some other comments here and appreciating that we are all different))

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
lol @ the joke, too

Heapsreal.....LOL

I do feel like my head is not attached most of the time.....

actually, I often feel like it's in the wrong place, for instance, it grows off the middle of my back, instead of from my shoulders (and the neck is just gone). (this symptom prompted an MRI to check for MS, but it was negative)

does anyone find brain fog to be a low grade headache and have found over the counter pain killers sometimes helpful? I recently took a cough medicine with dihydrocodeine in it for a cough and it helped with my brain fog, thats why im thinking its a low grade type of chronic headache/ inflammation. Pain killers dont always work but sometimes they do.

cheers!!!

yes, I think it is brain inflammation, because topiramate (generic for Topamax), an antiseizure medicine (adjunct, not primary antiseizure) rx-ed for migraines, helps the brain fog. OTC pain meds, especially NSAIDs, help some, too, but not as much as Topamax.

another thing that helped a lot was quitting regular shampoo and conditioner, and switching to safe or almost safe brand. Aubrey Organics is the only truly safe brand I can find, but it has a lot of soy in it. Giovanni and Alba are pretty safe. You can find less toxic products by doing a search for "less toxic products" or "less toxic shampoo" and you will find sites such as EWG.

I first tried making my own as shown in Drop-Dead Gorgeous, but the castille soap didn't rinse out of my hair (even with apple cider vinegar rinse), and it got all dull and nasty. That was when I switched to prepared shampoos.

Graham

Senior Moment
How long do you have to be on a gluten free diet to see any difference? I have been on it for close to a year and don't feel any difference. Time to give up?

Hi Nielk - my son and I both have ME and we have tried all sorts of exclusion diets (to no avail), but after one of us has been on it for a while, rather than just give up and start eating whatever it is again, it's a good idea for the other to sneak it back into the diet (and that's easy with gluten) and see if there is any reaction. We have just finished a trial Vit B run on the reverse process - Vit B drops added to a fruit juice for a hidden 3 month period over 6 months of fruit juice.

As to improving brainfog, for me it is taking a couple of co-codamols at night: the pain in my legs wasn't excessive, but I kept getting restless nights, normal painkillers did nothing, and sleeping tablets made me sleep but it was unrefreshing. Now I sleep better, and that improves my brainfog.