1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Took folate, felt sick, stopped. Then had 5 days of great mental clarity. Then back to normal. Why?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Tom_Nightingale, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Were you taking methylfolate and other methyl donors at the same time as the hydroxocobalamin? If so then it might have been the combination of B12 and methylfolate increasing methylation rather than hydroxocobalamin itself. If you're reacting to the hydroxocobalamin for some other reason then you can just take methylcobalamin instead. The reason Rich recommends starting with hydroxocobalamin is because some people are prone to overmethylation, but methylcobalamin is what's needed for methylation (hydroxocobalamin converts into methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin). Also, which brand of methylcobalamin are you taking? Some brands of methylcobalamin aren't good quality and are much lower potency for some reason. People say that Enzymatic Therapy is one of the best. If you're taking a bad brand it could be you're tolerating it better because it's low potency. Solgar and Bluebonnet are also supposed to be good. I'm not sure if they're quite as good as Enzymatic Therapy, but they make 5 mg tablets (Enzymatic doesn't) so that's an option for people taking higher dosages. I'm not necessarily saying you need higher doses, but if anyone does need higher doses that might be the way to go.
    helen1 likes this.
  2. Tom_Nightingale

Tom_Nightingale

Also I realized I tolerate another supplement, betaine hydrochloride. I was taking 600mg a day some time ago because I thought I had a candida problem in my gut, as it makes stomach acid more acidic. I understand this is like TMG. This is strange since I did not tolerate the TMG supplement I took at all (I took 1000mg pills, even the first dose felt bad). How does betaine HCl compare to TMG? Could I use it to the same effect as TMG?
  3. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    People have said that betaine hcl is equivalent to 75% TMG (since betaine also has the hcl). So 1000 mg of betaine hcl would be equivalent to 750 mg TMG. You don't necessarily need TMG to do methylation though. Some people need extra methyl donors and/or need to stimulate the BHMT pathway (which TMG does), methylfolate and B12 (either methylcobalamin or hydroxocobalamin) are mainly what's needed for methylation. As I said in my previous post, how well you tolerate a certain supplement is going to be based on how much of other methylation supplements you're taking at the same time. Some people might be able to tolerate 2000 mcg methylcobalamin, but as soon as they add some methylfolate they'll run into problems. Or they might be able to tolerate both B12 and folate, but when they add TMG they'll have trouble. But if TMG is taken by itself or with methylcobalamin, but not methylfolate then that person might tolerate it just fine.
  4. Tom_Nightingale

Tom_Nightingale

I actually had a short period of good functioning during the long time I was taking betaine hcl, but it was hard to place it with anything. I know from my genetic Genie report that I have 3 homozygous BHMT mutations, 02 04 and 08. Im wondering, I'm taking small 100mcg doses of methylfolate daily, and 1mg of methylcobalamin every other day. Since im tolerating the folate ok for now, I'm thinking I'll add the betaine hcl in and drop the B12 for now. I started this post about success with folate, so I'd like to see if I can attain what I experienced in those few awesome days. Thanks Lotus, I'll report back here after I give it a good try!
  5. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    You need the B12 too. You can always lower the B12 if necessary, but it would be good to take at least some.
  6. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain

Would be a blood test of actual methylation status useful in that scenario? I had once tested B12 and folate and they were both very very high. I supplemented with MethylGuard (contains mb12 and mfolate) for two weeks, ten days prior to this test...
  7. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    The serum tests for B12 and folate won't give you an accurate idea of what's going on. Rich said the Methylation Pathways Panel would give you your methylation status. If you do want to get your SNPs tested, 23andMe is only $99 now so it's much cheaper than the Yasko one that Rich mentioned (23andme lowered their prices after Rich posted about the Yasko one). Earlier Rich had said that a urine MMA test would be a more accurate test for B12 (compared to a serum test), but I found a recent quote by him saying that the MMA test isn't always a good marker either:
    There's also a B12 binding test (which Rich didn't think was always accurate either). Rich explains the information from the link
    And this is from Rich about the Methylation Pathways Panel test

See more popular forum discussions.