Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Too much ADB12, not enough folate/MB12? Detox?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by jnwp, Oct 14, 2016.

1. jnwp

jnwp

Here's the (kind of) quick version: I started methylation about 5 months ago (early May) and I've had some ups and downs. I started on 1mg MB12, and 1 tablet of Thorne B-12 Complex. Some mild energy gains but nothing major.

But, in mid-July, I slowly started adding in ADB12 (Source Naturals Dibencozide). This is where it gets interesting: within hours of my first mini-dose, I got red, itchy spots on my cuticles. I thought maybe this was my immune system coming back online, and thus a good sign. But maybe a week later, as I upped the dosage to around 2mg/day, I got what I thought was food poisoning (so bad I spent around 4 days running to the toilet), followed by a cold with lots of coughing and mucus that lasted about 2 weeks.

I haven't upped my MB12 above 1mg/day, mainly because of concerns the late Rich Van Konynenburg raised about mercury. But I wanted to keep pushing forward, so in early August I upped the ADB12 to one full tablet (9mg) every other day, and actually cut down the MB12 to every few days. Added in 400mcg of folate as well.

I felt great at first, good enough to actually go to the gym for the first time in years, pushed myself, and crashed. I was exhausted and could barely stay awake - pushed myself again a few weeks later and have spent most of the last two months really tired. In late September, I caught another cold and am still coughing up a lot of mucus. Some other weird symptoms (excessive sweating, dizziness, heart palpitations) have popped up as well. The last few days have been quite good, but I'm still a bit uncomfortable with what's going on. Is this detox, or folate deficiency? Am I taking too much ADB12? Not enough folate? Not enough MB12?

---------------------------------------------------

EXTRA INFO:

So, these are the symptoms I've had since starting methylation, all of them really just since I upped the ADB12 and lowered MB12:

Rashes/itchy red spots on fingers, arms, back
    Diarrhea
    Fatigue
    Muscle cramps
    Sore throat and cough
    Swollen lymph nodes under armpits
    Significantly worse BO
    Feeling hot/sweaty (I got a massage and I was soaked afterwards)
    Heart palpitations
    Some dizziness (an old symptom)

But of course, I have to note that there have been moments of incredible energy as well.

My methylation stack is currently this:
    1mg B12 Infusion
    1 capsule Thorne B Complex #12
    400 mcg Solgar metafolin
    4-4.5mg Source Naturals Dibencozide (ADB12) per day (one 9mg tablet every 2 days)

I also take a multivitamin that does contain 400mcg of folic acid, adrenal glanduar, pantethine, Vit C, Glutamine, Zinc carnosine, pharmacy bought cal/mag supp, and maca root.

---------------------------------------------

Basically, I need to find a way to safely proceed without these ups and downs. I just started a serious relationship, I'm going to be moving multiple times in the coming months and I just can't have these kinds of fluctuations. My baseline was very good - more than good enough for me to have an active and fulfilling life sans exercise. I didn't notice much at first with MB12, but once I upped the ADB12 I did feel really supercharged for a bit, and at times still do. But I want to feel at least as good as I did before on a consistent basis, and not like I'm on a roller coaster.

Sorry for the wordiness. Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
  2. Eastman

Eastman Senior Member

Some of your symptoms roughly match Freddd's symptoms for potassium deficiency, others roughly match those for methylfolate deficiency.

3. jnwp

jnwp

Hi - thanks for the response.

I've wondered about those as well. I am currently unsure if it's better to try and push forward and balance out any deficiencies or imbalances with what I'm currently taking, or stop the methylation protocol and return to baseline, then possibly start out again much more carefully.

Right now I'm planning to start taking MB12 and ADB12 in a more balanced ratio - it appears most people take more MB12 than ADB12, whereas I've been taking heaps more ADB12 than MB12. I wonder if that could be a factor here, given my initial response to ADB12. I'm still feeling pretty good overall (energy seems to be getting closer to normal, but I still feel like I'm overheating, a bit dizzy and coughing a lot), but as I said, I'm quite active physically and socially and so I kind of want to return to the fairly consistent "OK" feeling I enjoyed before I started this protocol.

I'm curious what other peoples' experiences have been.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  4. Eastman

Eastman Senior Member

I find b12 to be generally stimulating. While you can sometimes alleviate symptoms by supplementing to correct some of the deficiencies that it may induce, an alternative (or perhaps complementary) approach is to just cut back on the amounts taken until symptoms subside/stabilise.

In case you haven't seen it, the thread Start Low and Go Slow has a good discussion on this approach.

jnwp likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.