• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tolerable Antidepressants

eric_gladiator

I experimented with duloxetine months ago and my condition worsened a lot, even having taken it for only a couple of days. I was almost unable to walk or do anything and I still am almost the same. I know I could use an antidepressant because of my strong anxiety and depression that I have with this, but what do I take? and if it really gets worse? I think it's a greater risk than a profit

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
@eric_gladiator Depression and anxiety are frequently symptoms that the body needs something - nutrients. Whether from a slow starvation or a sudden illness, loss of nutrients is an ongoing problem. The psych drugs just send the body a temporary false message that the body soon recognizes. However it still needs what it needs and probably even more.

Experimenting with nutrients, at least you have a better chance of doing less damage and actually finding out what is missing that it really needs. However in some cases one will not noticeably respond until after months of supplementation as the body has much to repair.

@Alexandra90 As a woman one needs to be wary of birth control pills which deplete many nutrients. After several years on these I told my doctor I wouldn't be able to go on living due to severe depression and horrible period issues. This doctor was a gem and put me on many thousand times the RDA of B complex vitamins to which I responded healing well with depression resolving. This was the first time I realized how much drugs can deplete. No need to go on antidepressants, or to a psych ward....simply take the missing nutrients. What is missing of course is the big question. Iron is a common deficiency for women due to monthly blood loss.

I have unfortunate long term experience with anti-depressant drugs which are given when the doctor who cannot diagnose you in fifteen minutes, feels compelled to do something. In the end the drugs made things worse in many ways and much more complicated. I now had multiple nutrient deficiencies to conquer beyond the original problem.

What worked for me: I thought that since I was taking a multi-vitamin/mineral that this nutrient loss possibility was long ago covered. So I was totally surprised to find when I decided to try eating beef liver, that absolute treasure chest of nutrients important enough to store,.... because my body responded in a huge way.

Within an hour after consuming liver I felt life and joy spreading through my body. It was like a thirsty man 3 days in the desert finally found water. I kept eating liver and life and joy grew steadily. This was no false message. My eyesight and skin greatly improved. I found it easier to fight off infections. Depression and anxiety receded and healing began from a long term nutrient(s) starvation. These nutrients were in a form my body could utilize while the vitamin pills were not.

I then researched liver nutrients and made some very interesting discoveries about what my body was now thriving on. Liver is a very nutrient dense food.

Liver of course may not happen be your personal ticket to health. An overload of a nutrient can also cause problems, as with hemochromatosis which is often found in men, whereby the body stores iron into a serious overload capacity causing progressively worsening symptoms and eventual death. However, if you try consuming some liver you may notice a good response early on and this can help you decipher the problem.
There is a lot of high calorie malnutrition in the western world and thus many people are suffering.

Running your genetics can help you find answers to some of these problems. It has certainly helped me and my family. But experimenting with liver is quick, cheap and easy. If you really can't stand the taste there are liver capsule supplements.

Have any of you found a suitable antidepressant?
I am not sure if antidepressants work for people with cfs. I tried many of them and I found that fluoxetine worked for some time as a stimulant - not antidepressant. As the disease progressed I stopped tolerating any of them. Now I use tranxene 5-10mg and tegretol 200mg. I had a clinical depression but it was caused by high compensatory stress and my body just shut down for 4 months or so.

Chocolove

Chronic Fatigue - Prozac - In the media - Surviving Antidepressants
survivingantidepressants.org › Current events › In the media
May 7, 2014 - After taking Prozac less than a month... I developed Chronic Fatigue. I have been trying to make connection to this for 30 years.. as in mitochondria damage is part of chronic fatigue and prozac causes mitochondrial damage. I know I did not have it before prozac. and that I had it after prozac. I had one lady ...

Dechi

This post is a bit old but I wanted to share that since I can’t take any SSRI’s because they are all ototoxic and increase my tinnitus, I have been put on a very small dose of Abilify (1 mg) and it seems to be helping my anxiety amd depression so far. It’s only been about 2 weeks but still, I never had anything help me at all.

And it starts working in less than a week, which is very good. It is also said to help with energy in certain ME patients.

Chocolove

@Dechi You may be interested in this information regarding Abilify:
https://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch...tyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm498823.htm
ISSUE: FDA is warning that compulsive or uncontrollable urges to gamble, binge eat, shop, and have sex have been reported with the use of the antipsychotic drug aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristada, and generics).

This warning has been issued on the basis of a database survey conducted through FDA Adverse Events Reporting System (FAES). Literature from the last 13 years, since the approval of first aripiprazole drug in 2002, was analyzed.

Chocolove

@Dechi
I think I am going to stop
Be very careful how you stop. Many psych drugs require long tapering in smaller amounts to avoid serious withdrawal side effects. Do not go cold turkey as it could be extremely dangerous. Research online how to quit Abilify.

Dechi

@Dechi
Be very careful how you stop. Many psych drugs require long tapering in smaller amounts to avoid serious withdrawal side effects. Do not go cold turkey as it could be extremely dangerous. Research online how to quit Abilify.

I’ve only been taking it for about 10 days and I had to stop once before because of dysmenorrhea. The pharmacist told me my dose was so small that I could just stop altogether.