• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tolerable Antidepressants

HowToEscape?

There's a book called Drug Muggers I got, I don't know how accurate it is.

Anyone can write a book. in general I think the catchier the title, the less accurate the contents.

Pick up an issue of Science - that's a journal which contains actual science. It's slow reading, includes math because the essential information very often requires it, might make your eyelids heavy and it doesn't sell too well. Then for any particular phenomenon, read at least four different papers One study is rarely enough to establish a scientific conclusion.

You'll notice that Science magazine has no puppies, kittens or catchy titles. The cover never promises that you'll feel great look great lose weight or win the lottery in 30 days. You can find 50 years worth of back issues and compare what it said then with what it says now.

NotThisGuy

Have you ever tried some herbal remedies? Maca, ginseng and all that kind of stuff which boosts energy.
Maybe thats an alternative if you dont tolerate SSRI etc.

TrixieStix

Have any of you found a suitable antidepressant?

I seem to be sensitive to serotonin which complicates finding something that my body will tolerate. Last time I tried just 2,5 mg of Escitalopram which is super low, and within just 30 minutes I started to get really tense, cramping, twitching and feeling really awful. I stopped immediately. Supplements are not enough. I tried so many. Vitamins, b12, GABA, NAG, Taurine, Theanine, niacinamide, Inositol, Lithium orotate, Magnesium, Zinc, 5htp, glutamine, bcaa.

I heard that ADs that act on dopamine will instead be to stimulating and bad for anxiety hmm :meh:
I found this CNN post about antidepressants for people who have serotonin syndrome. It mentions "Wellbutrin" (aka: Bupoprion) as one that does not effect serotonin. I was aware of this as my spouse takes Wellbutrin.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/06/22/serotonin.syndrome.raison/index.html

HowToEscape?

Have you ever tried some herbal remedies? Maca, ginseng and all that kind of stuff which boosts energy.
Maybe thats an alternative if you dont tolerate SSRI etc.

They are worth a try. keep in mind that they are drugs, even though they do not require a prescription.

rebar

I didn't read everything, but if yours is cyclical as mine is, never manic, more like what I experience with ME. Not seeming to be linked to anything just phasing in and out. I went through most of the SSRI's, didn't work well at all. A very well respected Pharmaceutical Psychiatrist in NYC recommended low dose lamictal, aka lamotrigen. I started at 25mg and found myself shifting out within a couple of weeks. I now take 1/2 of a 25. I go off of it every now and then and usually within a few months I'm back to the cycling. For me I believe the low dosage was the key.

dreamydays

Wellbutrin (Buproprion) is not effective for OCD and from my experience it only seems to work for a two week honeymoon. Speak to your doctor about your options. Another alternative to my suggestion of Mirtazapine is Clomipramine, which is a TCA used mainly for OCD. It has a serotonin effect but is not an SSRI. Mirtazapine acts on serotonin receptors but is not serotonergic.

With regards to Lamotrigine, it works completely differently to an antidepressant, in that it works on sodium gated channels to lower glutamate. It has more potential to improve your ME symptoms and it number 13 on Dr Jay Goldstein's top 23 medications to treat ME. It may or may not be effective for OCD and anxiety. It has a complication that it can cause serious and in rare cases even life threatening rashes, so start it with a 1/4 of a tablet and slowly work up while watching out for rashes. In the case of a rash, discontinue and speak to a doctor straight away.

Last edited:

rebar

Dosing is generally much higher than what was recommend to me and what I eventually took. Bi-polar seems to be around 200mg. Yes you should pay attention to the possibility of a rash developing. I don't know if it's dose dependent or not. I paid attention, stayed out out the sun, and was fine. Of course one should never take anything without research.

Paralee

I just got a phone call last night from a friend that hasn't been able to take SSRI's or anything else he'd tried. He's been on lamotrigen for I think 2 weeks and it's working.

I tried Lamotrigine 25 mg and after 2 days I got severe muscle tension and even my tongue was tense. I also got cramps/twitches. I don't understand why almost all ADs give me these symptoms and why they are neurological. I stopped tolerating

The only two that didn't cause this were Zoloft (25 mg) and Valdoxan (12,5 mg). But both gave me terrible insomnia after a couple of weeks. I also got constant racing thoughts from Zoloft. Valdoxan has been the best tolerated and it doesnt impact serotonin I think.. wish I could continue with that and take it on morning but bc of the melatonin effect thats bad I guess. I can't sleep on it when taking at night. Other than that it was well tolerated!

realturbo

If one is able to, I think any type of exercise (walking, running, jogging, cycling, swimming, gym, etc.) can really help if kept up over a sufficient period of time. I have personally benefited from cycling.

JES

If one is able to, I think any type of exercise (walking, running, jogging, cycling, swimming, gym, etc.) can really help if kept up over a sufficient period of time. I have personally benefited from cycling.

Exercise has done nothing for the type of chronic anxiety I suffer from, except for the slight euphoria that follows shortly after it. Plus it would be a bad idea for anyone with PEM to attempt it, I understood that the original poster had CFS as well.

My body has started to tolerate walking again, and it tolerates more now after slowly slowly letting my body get used to it. But I'm still afraid of pushing my limits as I don't know my limit when only excerising so it's difficult.

realturbo

@JES I take your point, my error in not being clear. When I said 'if one is able to', I was thinking of exercising within the limits of one's illness, without pushing past the body's limits as pointed out by @Alexandra90

Incidentally, I too did experience a temporary euphoria in the early days, but with continued exercise I started to feel more and more benefit that lasted longer.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
...Depression is well known to be associated with altered anti- and prooxidant profiles, Vit C may play antidepressant function also by its antioxidant properties [118,119].

The available literature data indicate that Vit C deficiency is very common in patients with depressive disorders. Gariballa [169] in a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial observed that low Vit C status was associated with increased depression symptoms following acute illness in older people.

...Parameters were measured at baseline as well as after 6 weeks and 6 months. Patients with Vit C depletion had significantly increased symptoms of depression as compared to those with its higher concentrations both at baseline and at 6 weeks. Significantly lower serum Vit C level in patients with depression vs. healthy controls was also shown by Bajpai et al. [170] and Gautam et al. [171]. Moreover, in the latter study dietary supplementation of Vit C (1000 mg/day) along with vitamins A and E for a period of 6 weeks resulted in a significant reduction in depression scores [171].

Furthermore, a case-control study carried out on 60 male university students showed that subjects diagnosed with depression had significantly lower intake of Vit C than the healthy ones [172].

Similarly, in another case-control study involving 116 girls identified as having depressive symptoms, depression was negatively associated with Vit C intake, even after adjusting for confounding variables [173].

Rubio-López et al. [174], in turn, examined the relationship between nutritional intake and depressive symptoms in 710 Valencian schoolchildren aged 6–9 years and also observed that nutrient intake of Vit C was significantly lower in children with depressive symptoms. Additionally, prevalence of Vit C inadequacy (below dietary recommended intakes) was significantly higher in subjects with depressive symptoms.

The efficacy of Vit C as an adjuvant agent in the treatment of pediatric major depressive disorder in a double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot trial was evaluated by Amr et al. [175]. Patients (n = 12) treated for six months with fluoxetine (10–20 mg/day) and Vit C (1000 mg/day) showed a significant decrease in depressive symptoms in comparison with the fluoxetine plus placebo group as measured by the Children’s Depression Rating Scale and Children’s Depression Inventory. No serious adverse effects were shown.

Zhang et al. [176] in double-blind clinical trial investigated the effect of Vit C (500 mg twice daily) on mood in non-depressed acutely hospitalized patients. The applied therapy increased plasma and mononuclear leukocyte Vit C concentrations and was associated with a 34% reduction in mood disturbance (assessed with Profile of Mood States) [176].

Similarly, Wang et al. found that short-term Vit C (500 mg twice daily) treatment was associated with a 71% reduction in mood disturbance (assessed with Profile of Mood States) and a 51% reduction in psychological distress (assessed with Distress Thermometer) in acutely hospitalized patients with a high prevalence of hypovitaminosis C [177].

Khajehnasiri et al. [178] in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial involving 136 depressed male shift workers observed, in turn, that Vit C administration (250 mg twice daily for 2 months) alone and in combination with omega-3 fatty acids significantly reduced the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) score, however omega-3 fatty acid supplementation alone was more effective. Moreover, Vit C and omega-3 fatty acids supplementation alone (but not in combination) decreased significantly serum MDA levels...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537779/