• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Today's article in the Observer.........UK police and Wessely consider us 'dangerous!

ixchelkali

Was David Cameron assumed to have been threatening to kill rioters when he said:-

"You will pay for what you have done."?

Thank you! The examples they cite of "threats" only sound threatening because the article has just told you they're threats.

This propaganda campaign against patient advocates has been brilliantly conceived and executed. Now anyone who is publicly critical of Wessely and his cronies can be dismissed as "crazy," extremist, and potentially violent. They are seriously dialing up the rhetoric against patients, using the same words used to describe terrorists. The comment about feeling safer in Afganistan and Iran was a particularly effective touch.

SilverbladeTE

has anyone planted an actual bomb under Wessely's car? (some animal rights nutters have done that by the way against their targets, evil bastrds)
has he been shot at by a rocket propelled grenade? I'd have thought that'd be on the news if so, RPGs can blow up a tank, nto somehting almsot anyone in the entire UK has access to.
has his home been invaded by a gang of ME patients wearing suicide bombs and shooting everyone with AK47s? We're too sick and we are NOT freakin' Al-Qeda!

So for him to say this:
"I have moved my research interests to studies of Gulf war syndrome and other conditions linked to war zones," he said. "That has taken me to Iraq and Afghanistan where quite frankly I feel a lot safer and I don't mean that as a joke
Is a wicked, vile bloody disgrace.

Any of you seen the BBC video where the reporter/camera man, are with a patrol, who find their way blovked by IEDs, and a poor sod steps on one of the booby traps?
he go both legs and one arm blown off, and was left with only a few fingers on one hand.
THAT is Afghanistan. THAT is the place Wessely said our guys are not suffering unusual amounts of PTSD, despite seeing their mates losing their limbs etc with no damn warning, and having IEDs all over the dman place.
As about any soldier will tell you if you ask 'em, booby traps are their #1 fear, fighting is bad but you can shoot back, you can understand it, but booby traps are without warning, you can't fight back and do very ugly damage: huge difference, and so, they scare folk and they often cause serious brain injuries on those who survive 'em.

Dolphin

There's a lot of coverage of the story on Twitter

There's a lot of coverage of the story on Twitter - not sure how many but hundreds of tweets anyway. @bengoldacre sent out a message and it's been re-tweeted a lot today. :(

The persecutors playing the victim is truly disgusting - what on earth has happened to our country?

Are our media taking revenge on ME sufferers because our British media have recently been exposed as totally lacking in values and morals re the phone tapping?

Dolphin

http://twitter.com/#!/bengoldacre

bengoldacre ben goldacre
Chronic Fatigue extremists persecute researchers whose results they don't like http://t.co/p1gtpLC http://t.co/VOzpeJz
18 hours ago

So its "persecution" now. The fact that the patients are in shock and frightened at being portrayed as terrorists would not occur to these media cowboys.
That's the link. I made a bit.ly link for the link and one can see other bit.ly links for the same link. This has 63 re-tweets. And bit.ly page only seems to pick up some of them e.g. I've had messages re-tweeted before and only a small fraction (maybe 1/4?????) are picked up - so perhaps re-tweeted by 250 (??) people, each with their own followers.

Ah, so there are now nationwide alerts of the dangers from housebound and bed bound physically sick women, men and children.

The hypocritical Guardian has published a piece about the hidden but big suicide rate of chronically physically sick people, today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/aug/23/suicide-chronic-illness-study
At least one person takes their life every day while suffering from a chronic or terminal illness, and the government is neglecting this hidden trend, the thinktank Demos has said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/joepublic
Suicide prevention: The government is unwilling to collect sufficient data
Demos collected and supplied the evidence on deaths by suicide that the coalition wouldn't because without full information they can't set the best policies

Id suggest the government is itself aggravating the situation by unleashing the no-morals corporation ATOS on chronically sick and disabled Britons.

Enid

But we all know what Tweeters can be like - troublemakers. We have a genuinely delightful game called cricket. The commentator's Twitter has been plagued with nut cases and personal rudeness. I place bengoldacre firmly in this very unpleasant category.

Enid

Let's do it Nielk - I could donate a few pennies - this W Media Circus is not good for anyone's health.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
You could find it is related to this

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=7713

The 15th comment down by MSjustice.

People are getting very emotional and taking this personally - as is understandable.

But it all forms a nice logical and rational picture if you follow the money.

I couldnt agree more -follow the money. If only we could get a really good journalist in the U.K to do just that and actually get published!
Pie in the sky dreams im afraid.
Justy.

redo

If there's one thing I'd like to say to Wessely, than that's likewise.

I would feel better with bombs and bullets flying over my head than being sick with CFS having some non-listening pseudo scientific "CBT expert" eagerly perform his experiments on me. And to quote Wessely; I don't say that as a joke.

Enid

He and his cohorts days thankfully done now as research findings pour in - he and cronies so wide of the mark (still trying to pull the wool over everybodies eyes).

Nice as it would be to ship Wessely off to a warzone, I think we need to look at the bigger picture:

Is it fair to inflict him upon relatively innocent soldiers and extremists? Sure, they aren't perfect people, but the punishment of being exposed to Wessely would far exceed what their crimes might warrant.

currer

I couldnt agree more -follow the money. If only we could get a really good journalist in the U.K to do just that and actually get published!
Pie in the sky dreams im afraid.
Justy.

Find an independent journalist now.

SOC

Nice as it would be to ship Wessely off to a warzone, I think we need to look at the bigger picture:

Is it fair to inflict him upon relatively innocent soldiers and extremists? Sure, they aren't perfect people, but the punishment of being exposed to Wessely would far exceed what their crimes might warrant.

**sigh** You're right. [dropping pennies back in piggy bank]

I'm thinking he'll have a lot more than a bunch of exhausted housebound ME patients to worry about if he starts playing his silly psycho games on soldiers. If he thinks WE'RE scary, what's his imagination is gonna cook up about a bunch of angry war-stressed vets and their families?

redo

As soon as he have done some years of CBT on innocent GWI soldiers, I am guessing they will revolt. GWI is after all, pretty much the same as CFS.

And than he's back to media spotlight, another group who doesn't understand his genius...