• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Today's APPG on ME meeting is cancelled

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
Please circulate widely on all platforms as there are currently no notices about this

Yesterday, Dr Charles Shepherd was advised by Action for M.E.'s

Katie McMahon <Katie@actionforme.org.uk>

that today's APPG on ME meeting has been cancelled:

"APPG inquiry meeting" has been cancelled

When: Tuesday, 17 January 2017 02:00 PM to 03:00 PM

Where: Room T, Portcullis House"​

I have asked AfME and Dr Shepherd if AfME can get notices out ASAP as there is nothing that I can find in the public domain announcing this cancellation.

Last edited:

Binkie4

Thank you @ Dx Revision Watch for correcting my misapprehension about APPG secretariat.
I think I got it mixed up with the CMRC where I think AfME provides all admin help?

Just glad that you are ensuring circulation of cancellation. It takes ages to get an MP to show an interest and, if an MP turned up to a meeting cancelled without notification, then am not sure s/he would be back.

Dx Revision Watch

PA Anna is out of her office.
So, I've just tried phoning Sonya, on two numbers.

Out of office on both.

Main AfME phone number: "No one available to take your call."

No means of talking to anyone about this.

Grrrrrr.

Dx Revision Watch

Thank you @ Dx Revision Watch for correcting my misapprehension about APPG secretariat.
I think I got it mixed up with the CMRC where I think AfME provides all admin help?

Not sure, but I think you may be right that they provide admin to CMRC.

Just glad that you are ensuring circulation of cancellation. It takes ages to get an MP to show an interest and, if an MP turned up to a meeting cancelled without notification, then am not sure s/he would be back.

I share your concerns.

Not good that there is no-one in AfME available today to field calls about the cancellation.

Dx Revision Watch

Binkie4 has reminded me that this current APPG on ME is not open to members of the public.

It used to be the case that it was run as a group where members of the public could attend. Then the Officers at the time voted to change the policy over members of the public attending.

So this group's policy is MPs and invited only.

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

Update:

From Sonya Chawdhury:

The meeting is not cancelled; it is a [members and MPs] meeting to consider inquiry evidence and is being chaired by Daniel Zeichner MP as the Inquiry Chair. Hope that clarifies the position

Sonya Chowdhury
Chief Executive, Action for M.E.

---------------

From Katie NcMahon

Thanks for your email.

There has been some confusion around the APPG meeting, so I want to make sure we're on the same page.

The meeting is not cancelled, but it is a parliamentarians only meeting, in line with the plan for the inquiry which has been set out by the Chair of the inquiry, Daniel Zeichner MP.

Unfortunately, our communication got confused along the line and invites were also sent out to the charity partners of the APPG.

Therefore the recent cancellation notice was for the charity partners. All charity partners were informed earlier of this amendment to the meeting having had direct contact from Clare Ogden, our Head of Comms and Policy at Action for M.E.

I hope that's clear - please let me know of there are any further actions required still, or if I've misunderstood your email in any way. I apologise again for the confusion this has caused.

Kind regards

Katie

Binkie4

Is this saying that MPs are invited after all? This is presumably what " Parliamentarians" means. What inquiry?

" I hope that's clear". (Quote from Katie) It is as clear as mud to me.

Have I missed a whole loop of something? I saw notice of cancellation last night and husband emailed MP, asking CS this morning to do the same to try and maintain his interest.

I read other posts doing similar things.
What is the position now? It would look so amateurish to go back to MP now and change info again.
Are we reinviting uninvited MPs?
Can anyone clarify?

Dx Revision Watch

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/make...tion-now/all-party-parliamentary-group-on-me/

(...)

Social care inquiry
Following the publication of Action for M.E.'s Close to collapse report, the APPG is leading an inquiry into the shocking lack of social care provision for people with M.E. This included a policy roundtable in April 2016, chaired by Daniel Zeichner MP, which sought to explore how we can improve access to appropriate social care for people with M.E., asking how we can:

• address the barriers faced by people with M.E. in accessing care and support
  • ensure that those delivering social care assessments have access to all the information they need to achieve a good understanding of M.E. and its impact
  • identify tangible, realistic and achievable practical steps that will improve outcomes for people with M.E. and their carers.
The findings from the inquiry will be published later this year.

Minutes of last meeting:

7 September 2016

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/pdfs/sept-2016-appg-agm-minutes.pdf

Dx Revision Watch

Do you have any hair left? I think I would have torn mine out.

None at all, but I have a good hat:

hat1.jpg

Dx Revision Watch

Is this saying that MPs are invited after all? This is presumably what " Parliamentarians" means. What inquiry?

" I hope that's clear". (Quote from Katie) It is as clear as mud to me.

Have I missed a whole loop of something? I saw notice of cancellation last night and husband emailed MP, asking CS this morning to do the same to try and maintain his interest.

I read other posts doing similar things.
What is the position now? It would look so amateurish to go back to MP now and change info again.
Are we reinviting uninvited MPs?
Can anyone clarify?

My understanding is that the meeting was for APPG on ME members and Parliamentarians.

What was cancelled was not the meeting, per se, but the presence of charity reps at the meeting.

Dx Revision Watch

Daniel Zeichner MP is an Officer holder of the APPG on ME (Secretary).

Minutes of last meeting:

7 September 2016

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/pdfs/sept-2016-appg-agm-minutes.pdf

(...)

3. Social care inquiry

Countess of Mar shared her concerns that MPs need to consider all the evidence about the current state of affairs before agreeing recommendations as per previous inquiries. She felt that decisions could not be made at the APPG meeting. Sonya Chowdhury agreed and identified that Daniel Zeichner MP, as Inquiry Chair, would lead these discussions with APPG members to ensure consideration of a draft report (which would include an Executive Summary), submitted evidence, evidence from the Roundtable discussion and the recommendations; consultation with charity colleagues who participate in APPG meetings would contribute to these discussions.
Sonya suggested that she and Countess of Mar have a discussion with Daniel on the process of the inquiry and agreed to convene this meeting in October.

Charles Shephard said that it is important that the Inquiry and its recommendations have maximum impact.
Cath Ross emphasised that it is necessary to communicate to MPs the reality of the situation that people with M.E. find themselves in. For example, people being refused care. While much-needed research is going to take time, measures to address such experiences as these can have a much more immediate impact on the lives of people with M.E.

Sonya highlighted that the terms of reference for the inquiry had already been approved, which Sir Peter Bottomley had been involved in. In terms of inputting into the report, there are examples readily available of people being refused care, and who do not have access to services. What is required as an output from the inquiry to address the neglect that people with M.E. experience is one or two ambitious policy goals alongside some quick wins.
Catherine Hale stated that the Close to Collapse report focussed on the experience of people with M.E. in relation to their access to social care and gave a good representation of the current state of affairs. More case studies could be included in this final report, if required, in order to inform and ground the recommendations.
Cath Ross suggested that legal advice could be sought on the duty of the local authority, and this aspect could be incorporated into the recommendations if appropriate.

Actions: Daniel Zeichner MP, Countess of Mar and Sonya Chowdhury will convene to discuss the process of the inquiry.

JohnCB

Immoderate
@Dx Revision Watch thanks for sorting through this mess.

From Sonya Chawdhury:

The meeting is not cancelled; it is a [members and MPs] meeting to consider inquiry evidence and is being chaired by Daniel Zeichner MP as the Inquiry Chair. Hope that clarifies the position

Sonya Chowdhury
Chief Executive, Action for M.E.

From Katie NcMahon

Thanks for your email.

There has been some confusion around the APPG meeting, so I want to make sure we're on the same page.

The meeting is not cancelled, but it is a parliamentarians only meeting, in line with the plan for the inquiry which has been set out by the Chair of the inquiry, Daniel Zeichner MP.

Unfortunately, our communication got confused along the line and invites were also sent out to the charity partners of the APPG.

Therefore the recent cancellation notice was for the charity partners. All charity partners were informed earlier of this amendment to the meeting having had direct contact from Clare Ogden, our Head of Comms and Policy at Action for M.E.

I hope that's clear - please let me know of there are any further actions required still, or if I've misunderstood your email in any way. I apologise again for the confusion this has caused.

Kind regards

Katie

It is astonishing how far people will go to avoid saying sorry and admitting they got things wrong. A proper apology is not a sign of weakness. Obfuscating and denying errors are signs of weakness. A cock-up has been made, we have no idea how many people have been incommoded, and better efforts should have been made to avoid such a mistake in the first place and to correct it at the first possible opportunity. The chief executive of AfME is well paid and I would expect better. Perhaps more concentration on the day job and less time building imaginary international organisations would be a good idea.

Cinders66

AFME, all those paid staff and they achieve nothing beyond "support" than propping up establishment approach . Contrast to the real action group #MEaction.
I'm guessing this inquiry is expected to fill up some time, give an illusion Of action whilst being as ultimately effective as the Gibson inquiry.
The moderate and severe who need care are mainly failed by the fatigue clinic /CBT approach to CFS which is leaving few with access to and support from expert medics, combined with the general rehabilitation narrative etc. Thinking people like Rees Mobbs, who is probably fully supportive of the Tory squeeze on social care spending causing havoc country wide, will be a knight in armour on this cause (he's chair or something of ME APPG) seems naive.
I saw no asking of people to try to ask MPs to attend so are we expecting more than the usual 2-4 to attend anyway? Totally disillusioned with UK charity advocacy 20-30 years on it's still amateurs

Dx Revision Watch

The current chair is Sir Peter Bottomley MP

Current Officers according to the Minutes of 7 September 2016 are

Chair: Sir Peter Bottomley MP
Co-Chair: Countess of Mar
Kerry McCarthy MP
Julian Sturdy MP
Carol Monaghan MP
Vice-Chair: Mark Tami MP
Secretary: Daniel Zeichner MP

Officers according to the Minutes of 11 May 2016 meeting were:

All Party Parliamentary Group on M.E.
Chair Sir Peter Bottomley MP
Co-Chair Countess of Mar
Vice-Chair Mark Tami MP
Secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg MP

2. Appointment of new officer – Daniel Zeichner as Secretary

Unclear whether Jacob Rees-Mogg MP retains any involvement with the current group.

----------------------------

According to the Minutes of the 11 May 2016 meeting:

Secretariat
Sonya Chowdhury, Action for M.E.
Declan Mullaney, Action for M.E./Whitehouse Consultancy
Dr Charles Shepherd, ME Association

Declan Mullaney

Associate Political Consultant, Whitehouse Consultancy
http://www.publicaffairsnetworking.com/profile/declan-mullaney

He also attended as "Secretariat" at the May 2016 meeting.

Secretariat
Declan Mullaney, Action for M.E./Whitehouse Consultancy
Dr Charles Shepherd, ME Association

In what capacity does he attend these meetings and what is his relationship with AfME?

Last edited: